Gentoo review

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sarcasm, the lowest form of witt.

And if you want something with a firm financial backing, a certification (many actually) and designed by "real" coders (per your definition), I have an even better OS for you than Fedora - it's called Windows and I think it'll suit you down to the ground ;) -Another joke that you'll probably take seriously-

I don't hate Fedora - I was joking in my original post about other distros. I don't hate any distro - I just consider Gentoo to be superior. You can't write it off as a hacker-kid distro, because it isn't. Just like you can't write off Fedora - it's a great distro, just not for me.

I also never claimed to be a, what was it again? Oh yeah - uber geek. I don't even consider myself to be much of geek to begin with. I've simply found the distro that works for me. If you read my post you'll see me arguing that Gentoo is very easy to use. I hate l33t speak almost as much as I hate distro-war and having this conversation with you.

So in short - blow it out your ear. I'm frankly a little tired of the flame-bait being generated on this board. It's unecessary. If you thought I was honestly disscrediting other distros when I was so obviously kidding around, then you're anal-retentive and you should be spending your time on user boards dedicated to different flavours of tea. Tea might even be too touchy a subject for you. You need your head read if you think I care what distro (or OS for that matter) you use.

Sarcasm, the lowest form of witt.

And if you want something with a firm financial backing, a certification (many actually) and designed by "real" coders (per your definition), I have an even better OS for you than Fedora - it's called Windows and I think it'll suit you down to the ground ;) -Another joke that you'll probably take seriously-

I don't hate Fedora - I was joking in my original post about other distros. I don't hate any distro - I just consider Gentoo to be superior. You can't write it off as a hacker-kid distro, because it isn't. Just like you can't write off Fedora - it's a great distro, just not for me.

I also never claimed to be a, what was it again? Oh yeah - uber geek. I don't even consider myself to be much of geek to begin with. I've simply found the distro that works for me. If you read my post you'll see me arguing that Gentoo is very easy to use. I hate l33t speak almost as much as I hate distro-war and having this conversation with you.

So in short - blow it out your ear. I'm frankly a little tired of the flame-bait being generated on this board. It's unecessary. If you thought I was honestly disscrediting other distros when I was so obviously kidding around, then you're anal-retentive and you should be spending your time on user boards dedicated to different flavours of tea. Tea might even be too touchy a subject for you. You need your head read if you think I care what distro (or OS for that matter) you use.

Slow down there tough guy, i wasn't making personel attacks on you, I take blowing things out my ear very serious.

Looks like someone can't take a joke and might be a little anal-retentive? :lol2:

So since Im a die hard Gentoo user am I a "paul" in training? 

:cheesy:

Now if only I could also be a "aru" in the art of bash.

:headbang:

That would be quite a lethal combo. If you ever reached that level you might start levitating and spitting out diamonds.

btw: I'm busy downloading Fedora to use on my box at work right now :headbang:

I'm sure I'll be in here to ask for bvc or cybrjackle's advice soon :P

It's taken three years, but I think we've finally reached the point where nobody on this board takes me seriously :thumbs:

So since Im a die hard Gentoo user am I a "paul" in training? 

:cheesy:

Now if only I could also be a "aru" in the art of bash.

:headbang:

That would be quite a lethal combo. If you ever reached that level you might start levitating and spitting out diamonds.

btw: I'm busy downloading Fedora to use on my box at work right now :headbang:

I'm sure I'll be in here to ask for bvc or cybrjackle's advice soon :P

It's taken three years, but I think we've finally reached the point where nobody on this board takes me seriously :thumbs:

I still don't take you serioulsy after all these years :cheesy:

funny thread....

I'm dying to comment but being forum mod kinda prevents it.

Now lets all take a deep breath and say ... (except Phunni) Linux rocks!

As a matter of interest though A13X did you by chance benchmark Gentoo vs Mandrake? You can uninstall KDE you know :D (good review though :D) but I suspect yuou might be surprised.

Gentoo has a lot of wannaBgeeks who have never actualy benchmarked. Someone posted a set of benchmarks here a while back and debian (i386) and MDK (i586) both beat Gentoo in many areas when using sane -O flags.

90% of the stuff you do you don't want any faster.... like how much faster do you wanna listen to a CD or watch a movie... check your mail or 1001 other common tasks.

When it makes a difference can be encoding etc. and here for instance debian does i586/i686,K6 and K7 packages...

MDK doesn't but nothing is stopping you getitng the source rpm!

IMVHO The advantage of Gentoo is in the learning.

bvc made me laugh most in this thread.... the comments about the installer are so true. How its conceived easier with X than ncurses is beyond me... the simplest install I ever did is kanotix but I bet Ubuntu is simple too. Simple almost always means less control. Linspire has a simple installer... "Do you wantme to wipe everything off your drive and install Yes/No " ... thats it!

I don't use MSK anymore because of the admin tools (MCC) and the fact they are non-standard linux tools. That's the only reason. I think suse is great too if only they didn't have YAST...

I haven't tried FC ... but im sure its great too.

When you get down to it linux is linux and the rest is packaging!

Gentoo doesn't make your system run any faster, it takes ages to install and update, and can stress your machine more than a binary distro.

The reasons I use it personally are for the ease of updating (though this is offered by several other distros), the large number of programs available in portage, the large and helpfull community, and the lack of gui config tools is generally a bonus to me. Several other distros offer the same (that one by Deb and Ian comes to mind) but I've setteled on gentoo for the time being.

Binaries compiled for i386 are generally no slower than individual installs from source, most actually include i686 opt flags which make the binaries a little fatter but just as fast. Fedora compile openssl, glibc and possibly a couple other packages as i686 etc. which are selected at install time for the correct arch.

Generally the point in compiling for i586 is for embedded systems, binaries become a little smaller and some embeded systems use reasonably quick i586 chips that are not i686 compatible.

Oh, and one last thing (crap, I'm turning in to Steve Jobs)... one bonus in gentoo is the ability to specify USE flags (like ./configure options) for individual packages. Although this has a limited range of usefulness it can be handy for switching extra functionality on and off.

Thanks for the review, seems it touched a few people :)