Captive with xp sp2?

Guest alamuru420123

Guest alamuru420123

Has anyone got Captive to work with sp2? I've been trying like hell but it just doesn;t work. captive-install-acquire only detects the system files which come without the service pack. I can still mount the drives and write to them but as soon as i boot into windows, the files and directories vanish and they don't show up in linux as well. Is there anything similar to captive or is there any way to have write functionality to ntfs? I don;t think i want to use the write functionality that comes with the kernel.

:wall::wall::wall:

I have not extensively checked it, but it works for me. MDK 10.0, and WXP Home with sp2 on a NTFS partition. I manage to mount rw the NTFS partion under linux, write to it, and find the files when I boot to WXP again. It seems to me that captive is "sluggish" at writing (took some 30 sec to cp a 20 MB file from my /home to /mnt/captive_win/), but then again I have performed only a few checks. And "sluggish" is much better than nothing!

Please forgive me if the following observation looks plain silly, but it _did_ happen to me, more than once... (actually, it happened to me also while not using captive, but just writing from linux to a FAT part).

Well, if I hibernate WXP, boot to linux, modify whatever filesystem WXP mounts (FAT or NTFS), and then resume WXP, all the modifications will be lost. I guess, for WXP the filesystem has been mounted all the time, hence it was somehow cached, and upon resume from hibernation that cache is synced back...

So, if I plan to use captive, I must really shutdown WXP (not just hibernate it).

I do not know about the newer system files... captive-install-acquire found a few system files it needed, such as ntoskernel.dll, and asked me whether I meant to use them or it should keep searching for better ones. I said, "go for them", and it works...

Coccodrilletto

Edited by coccodrilletto

Guest alamuru420123

That's wht i've been doing all this time. I was hibernating windows while testing captive coz my windows boot up takes a long time. No wonder it was getting erased. I;ll try this out and let you know. Thanx a million.

thats why its not working

DO

NOT

EVER

Hibernate

then boot to a different OS

windows afaik keeps a listing of the files in memory or whatever I dont know exactly, but when you reboot to linux do some stuff, then go back to windows, windows will load up its file list from when it hibernated. meaning that anything you do in linux will not appear.

Be aware that when using the 1 partition in 2 OS, hibernating and then booting to a different OS can cause filesystem corruption.

Guest alamuru420123

Hi,

coccodrilletto, I've tried out writing after shutting down windows but it still is getting erased as soon as windows boots up. The thing is captive is detecting the ntfs.sys and ntoskernel.exe of the initial version of win xp without and sp. I think it is using those drivers and that's why it's not working. Any other idea why it isn't working?

Thanx in advance.

alamuru

Edited by alamuru420123