Build my own computer?

Mandriva-user

Between now and in five months?

I just like to start getting info from you.

1. Which motherboard P/amd for fast speed?

2. power supply

3. monitor

4. Cd-rw

5. vidio card

6. sound card

and the last is only one OS to installing linux not windows 98,2000 or xp,I like only linux to install on my new computer no other OS.

That all and thank you for your input.

Ciao mandrake-user :?:

1. Which motherboard P/amd for fast speed?

- AMD processor XP 2100+

- Abit or Asus board. It really doesn't matter which one. Just choose the cheapest one with the features that you want. Personally I would pick the Abit KT7-Raid.

- 512 megs DDR 333 Ram

2. power supply

- Antec power supply inside an Antec Case, 430 watts preferably

3. monitor

- 19inch CRT Samsung or Viewsonic

or - 17inch LCD Samsung monitor

4. Cd-rw

- LG 40x10x40

5. vidio card

This depends on what you want to do with the system

High end - NVidia GeForce 4 Ti 4200

Low end - NVidia GeForce 2, 3, 4 MX (Depending on cash flow at this point)

6. sound card

- Sound Blaster Live!

Just my opinion of course.

Personnally I go with the following:

AMD Athlon XP as fast as you can afford.

EPoX motherboard, I've always found them relaible. (Something like the EP-8K7A+ which has a IDE raid so you have lots of drives. :mystismiles: )

If you want a performance mahcine, thens it worth paying a bit extra for branded RAM. And again as much of it, the best type you can afford.

Nvidia GeForce graphics card because it has very good Linux drivers. I like the ATI Radeon, but as the drivers aren't quite as good (yet) I'd still go for Nvidia.

Sound card Creative Sound Blaster Live, again because of driver support.

AMD 2100xp with Epox mb, usually better price than Abit and just as good

Go with the kt333, as the kt400 is more expensive without additional benefit.

DDR333 RAM, min 256MB, Toshiba, Samsung, Goldstar chips, NOT SEAMENS

Sounblaster audio, pick one

Nvidia video, pick one

19 inch flat panel, I like Princeton Graphics or Viewsonic

I use mitsumi components, and Liteon is inexpensive for cdrw's and reliable

• 2 weeks later...

Well I just built two comps using ecs (mine) and asus (grandmom's) mobo. Stay away from ECS. If you want a low end vid card I'd go with: nvidia nforce2 mobo (asus has em)

high end vid card geforce 4

512 mb of ddr ram

case with 400W power supply

Fastest athlon you can get

and any monitor you like

Personally i'd go for a 16x DVD-rom and 52X burner

soundblaster audigy, the linux drivers shold have most features implemented buy now and you can get all this at fabulously low prices at http://www.newegg.com

I can't give you a direct answer, since you don't give any info about what kind of budget you have, what you want to use the computer for etc.

Things I had in mind when I bought my computer:

-didn't want a fan on the mobo chipset (wanted a as silent as possible system)

-wanted usb2 (you'll want this too)

-wanted a nice upgradepath, which I got (duron 1GHz now, can probably take a barton when those come out, I'll wait until the fastest barton that fits on my mobo gets down to a decent price, plus that duron will be a nice upgrade for my girlfriends machine)

-wanted enough possibility to add ram (meaning: at least 3 slots, not 2)

-wanted to be sure there would be bios updates (bugfixes, to accomodate new cpus etc)

Remember: memory and cpu upgrades are easiest, with a new mobo your chipset may not be recognised (happened to me in March with my system, couldn't play dvd's and wondered why -- no dma; had to recompile the kernel etc.. after which I couldn't use the nvidia rpms anymore etcetc), under windows (not for you since you don't have it) you must reinstall the whole system, .... with a graphics card update you may have to install the drivers and edit the xf86config file etcetc.

I'm not really on a budget, meaning I could (if I wanted) go out and buy the most expensive hardware, but I believe in value for money; with my current machine, to which I recently added the gf4200, I think I can go on for another 2 to 3 years (with a cpu and maybe a memory upgrade); make sure you have a decent power supply (don't go by watts, take a recognised brand; I'll rather take a 300W enermax than some 450W no-name noise thing..).

I'll pop in a faster cpu, maybe a 2GHz athlon xp sometime this year, and to stretch life a barton when those are cheap (end of next year), a dvd+rw burner (those are cheaper per MB than cd-r's already.. just waiting for the faster burners that Philips promised, should have 8x out this spring!), maybe a flatscreen/tft.

Oh, and for future upgrade reasons, you may want to get a graphics card with a dvi-i connector (the -i meaning that you can also connect an analogue monitor to it).

Pass on any harddisk with less than 40GB, 60GB if you want to rip+encode dvds and have a nice mp3 collection.

Pick a hsf with low noise fan (I have an arctic super silent, quiet and dirt cheap, ~10euro) and dito power supply; I'm not sure, but I think cheap noname graphics cards more easily use these tiny fans that make loads of noise after 5 months; cards from real brands may be better in that respect.

Sound: if you don't need/want surround/5.1, you may be perfectly happy with onboard sound, as long as it's on an external (meaning: not on the chipset) chip, like c-media. My mobo has this, even 5.1, but under linux unfortunately the rear channels are merely mirrors from the front, and I wanted real 4.0 surround. Sblive 5.1 does the job fine.

Monitor: make sure you see it in action; make sure it runs at atleast 85Hz (unless it's a tft) at the resolution you'll use it at.

Between now and 5 months lies also the introduction of the amd hammer/ athlon 64, .... even if you don't want one, it will bring down prices!

Golden rule: if you can still wait, wait. It will only be cheaper and faster.

I have a;

Athlon XP 2100+

512 DDR RAM

Motherboard with KT333 chipset (the Northbridge with that chipset is not supported, but there is no noticeable detriment, just that DMA support is limited to those module drivers that have it built-in, you'll have to use AGPgart instead of nVidia's built in AGP support for example).

Soundblaster Live 5.1

nVidia GeForce 2 400MX 64MB AGP

60 GB Maxtor (I think) HD

generic 52x CD-ROM (a standard ATAPI drive)

Monitor is a 14 or 15 inch LCD.

I can't complain about the system's performance, but will probably upgrade when I have some available cash for a GeForce 4 TI. I'll also upgrade my OS (Mandrake 8.2) as soon as the KT333 is fully supported by Mandrake (or if never supported by Mandrake, then by SuSE or whatever good, and fairly standard linux distro is available at the time).