Is Kpackage a waste of time?

LatterDaySaint

Just wondering if using Kpackage or Synaptic is agood idea ,as I installed Kpackage but cant find any repositories 4 it anywhere,If using Kpackage ect. is okey then would anybody know where I can get a list of repos 4 it . Is there anyone using these tools .From Jason

I'd try and stick with the Mandrake Add/Remove softwareand set your sources in easyurpmi (see the FAQ and lots of articles here)

Very occaisionally you might find a non Mandrake RPM etc. which doesn't exist as a mDK RPM and kpackage can save the CLI in these circumstances.

The repositrories for RPM's are actually set when you add them in EasyURPMI.

The best part of it is that kpackage lets you add/remove/update etc all from one place whereas since 9.0 MDK seperated them....

For me Synaptic is better than Mandrake add/remove software. For one because you have all functions (add, remove, update) available in one place.

Kpackage looks very nice but does not process dependancies which makes it rather useless compared to Synaptic.

I am using Synaptic now for some months to my full stisfaction.

There are no specific repositories 4 Kpackage or Synaptic. You can use any RPM repository you want and as many as you want. I am using the typical mandrake repositories "main, contrib, update and plf".

Specifying the repositories in Synaptic is a bit different than in Mandrake add/remove. Once you know this it is easy.

For me Synaptic is better than Mandrake add/remove software. For one because you have all functions (add, remove, update) available in one place.

Kpackage looks very nice but does not process dependancies which makes it rather useless compared to Synaptic.

I am using Synaptic now for some months to my full stisfaction.

There are no specific repositories 4 Kpackage or Synaptic. You can use any RPM  repository you want and as many as you want. I am using the typical mandrake repositories "main, contrib, update and plf".

Specifying the repositories in Synaptic is a bit different than in Mandrake add/remove. Once you know this it is easy.

depends what version I guess.... I use synaptec on my deb boxes...

I really despise add/remove SW in MDK but I do most from the CLI anyway and most deb from apt-get or dkpg ...

Kpackage is good when you want a GUI for RPM functions not supported by RPMDrake or urpmi/e/f. For example, if you want to upgrade a package that you know will work, but the spec file has dependencies that block RPMdrake, you can use Kpackage as a point and click interface to do an rpm -e --nodeps. I personally hate having to lookup the package name then paste it or type it on the CLI.

If you just want to install software from repositories, use RPMDrake!

Well I appreciate all the advice,one of the reasons I asked was because there doesnt seem to be a great list of packages to choose from with the repositories at easyurpmi 4 me anyway and the only reason I have not bought membership so I can get the full list of packages with extra repos is because I refuse to go near credit cards, I live in Australia and dont know of another way to pay 4 Membership ,Anyway I think this is the only drawback with Mandrake not being more free like others? But is still a great well put together distro. I want to learn more about installing and compiling software and kernels ,so maybe not getting a full list of packages to choose from will help me learn more and try harder.

Well I appreciate all the advice,one of the reasons I asked was because there doesnt seem to be a great list of packages to choose from with the repositories at easyurpmi 4 me anyway and the only reason I have not bought membership so I can get the full list of packages with extra repos is because I refuse to go near credit cards, I live in Australia and dont know of another way to pay 4 Membership ,Anyway I think this is the only drawback with Mandrake not being more free like others? But is still a great well put together distro. I want to learn more about installing and compiling software and kernels ,so maybe not getting a full list of packages to choose from will help me learn more and try harder.

There is no need (or way) to pay ...

EasyUrpmi is an open source way of setting up the repositories for the MDK packages. It is nothing to do with Mandrake Club ... which you can pay for except mandrake club has some of its own RPMs' but these are mainly for commerial software... or non free (speech not beer) software MDK have packaged but is available for free elsewhere (like nvidia drivers)

Simple click the link at the top of the page (here)and choose your mirrors

Where do I get Nvidia driver ect for Mandrake..,as I dont see it in urpmi, also if I download another kernel to update it ,then do I have to compile it or anything or will it work after downloading with urpmi with out having to do anything besides adding nvidia driver? as I hear alot about people compiling kernels ect. My understanding is that it installs it self if downloaded with urpmi.

Nvidia driver is avail from their web site...

you need to compile it against your kernel... but they have it all packaged in a file you just run.. it takes care of everything except a couple of lines in your config file which it tells you to change manually.

The nvidia driver needs the kernel-source to compile or as a minimum the headers for the kernel source.

you can urpmi either kernel-source or a new kernel or headers ... I usually do full source but no need to...unless you wanna compile your own kernel...

once you set up urpmi you can use add software and search on kernel and it will show the options .. as far as I know on MDK you still need to add them to the boot loader??? I know Debian does this automatically but I havent done a MDK kernel in a while....

If you install a kernel from a Mandrake package, it will add a boot loader option to LILO. I don't know if will add one to Grub. If you don't know what Grub or LILO are, don't worry about it.

Just for the sake of correctness, and so new Linux users don't get the wrong idea, I'll point out that that Nvidia drivers are not open source. Nvidia provides pre-compiled binaries only, so you don't have to compile the driver. What you do have to compile is a kernel interface that lets the pre-compiled driver from Nvidia work with your kernel.

Installing the Nvidia driver isn't as hard as it may seem.

1. download the driver from nvidia.com

2. install the kernel-source package with urpmi/RPMdrake

3 have a copy of the readme from the Nvidia handy.

4. Kill X-windows by logging out of KDE/Gnome/whatever you use, press ctrl-F1, log in as root, type "service dm stop". Some people will tell you to change the runlevel, but it's not necessary.

5. Run the installer according to the Nvidia readme.

6. Edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file according to the Nvidia instructions.

7. For Mandrake you'll need to add a line that just says "nvidia" to your /etc/modprobe.preload file.

8. Load the nvidia kernel module by typing "modprobe nvidia". If you already have an nvidia module loaded, unload it first with "modprobe -r nvidia"

9 Restart X-Windows. by typing "service dm start"