xmms in kde

Guest Amund

I have a weird problem.

When i start xmms-player form the terminal it works fantastic. BUT when i launch it from the shortcutbutton in kde it closes itself when I press play. It seems to me that kde have a musictaste of it own, or perhaps there`s a more logical reason. ..

How can I fix this problem?

Please help....I don`t want to explain to my girlfriend that I`m not the great nerd she likes me for or how she can play music on my computer :oops:

Edited by Amund

Guest jonifen
Why dont you try Right clicking the Icon,

Go to the properties,

The to the Application tab,

Look at the command, It probably says "soundwrapper xmms"

Try removing the "soundwrapper"

See if that helps.

that worked for me when I had the same problem... if only this post was here a day or two earlier - woulda saved me messing with google :)

Why dont you try Right clicking the Icon,

Go to the properties,

The to the Application tab,

Look at the command, It probably says "soundwrapper xmms"

Try removing the "soundwrapper"

See if that helps.

that worked for me when I had the same problem... if only this post was here a day or two earlier - woulda saved me messing with google :)

hi, and welcome to the forum!

did ya search this forum with that problem?

because the removal of soundwrapper for xmms from the menu is all over this forum, in fact, I can't believe it wasn't the first reply

I'm also having problems running XMMS in KDE. I checked (and removed) the soundwrapper startup from the program properties but XMMS still doesn't work when run by clicking the icon.

Normally, I start XMMS by hitting F2 and typing XMMS; that too is not working.

(Actually, XMMS does start and I can select a file to play. It's when I press the play button that XMMS dies).

Interestingly, I found that if I hit F2 and type "XMMS &", XMMS starts and plays just fine. Weird.

-- Tom

I have a weird problem. 

When i start xmms-player form the terminal it works fantastic. BUT when i launch it from the shortcutbutton in kde it closes itself when I press play. It seems to me that kde have a musictaste of it own, or perhaps there`s a more logical reason. ..

How can I fix this problem?

Please help....I don`t want to explain to my girlfriend that I`m not the great nerd she likes me for or how she can play music on my computer  :oops:

With my computer was exactly the same problem happened. I started Menudrake (System Menu) and went to the xmms menu. In the command line I replaced the entry (which I cant remember any more, but it was a strange one) by "/usr/bin/xmms", saved the changes and exited. Since then it works perfect. I dont know if this change was the reason, but it was the only change I made for this, hence its probable.

tl017