Mandrake 10.1 permission errors on boot

can564

I have installed Mandrake 10.1 on my first computer no problem!

My second computer (w/the same cd set is proving to be a nightmare)I have several partitions on a 60g Maxtor hd.it looks something like this.

hda1 Windows XP fat32

hda2 SuSE 9.1 (tried installing Mandrake here.Refused to let it stay a primary partition)

hda3 Extended partition

hda4 XOSL Extended operating system boot loader program

hda5 fat 32 shared

hda6 fat32 backup

hda7 Fedora Core 1

hda8 where I am currently trying to install Mandrake 10.1

hda9 Linux swap partition

My problem is late in the install.I check that I want hda8 to be my new formated root.Then check off all the different software choices.The install starts and I am prompted to change to disc 2 then 3.Mandrake then asks for a root password, makes a user name and login,choose my boot loader location(first sector of root partition),then displays the configure screen. You can make changes to the configuration if you want(I don't).

I click next and I am prompted for Disc 1.I install it but it spits it back out saying it is not disc 1.I try several times then finally I just hit the previous button.Things whirl and I get congratulations your install is complete please remove disc and reboot.

I reboot and on different attempts to install get one of two errors.Either

etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: line1: /bin gettext: permission denied, or a sysinit read only error.

Question #1 Mandrake must be able to co-inhabit with Fedora and SuSE and share the same swap partition right?

question #2 Can Mandrake exist on an extended partition with the boot loader in its first sector(Fedora does fine)?

Question #3 Why does the install proceed so well with Disc 1 only to have it not recognized at the end of the install

Question #4 What is supposed to happen when you reinstall Disc 1 at the end.Are the permisions finalized to the folders ,etc?

other info

Aopen AK79G motherboard

2 x 256mb pc3200ddr ram

Single 60g Maxtor hd

2200xp Athlon

Artec DVD/CDRW

Edited by can564

Yes, Mandrake can exist fine with other distros. I have had mulitplie boots for a couple of years. But, Mandrake has never asked me for a return to the first disk at the end. That is odd. I would recommend checking the various items at the end. I also do not chain boot loaders. I use lilo (or grub) and use one bootloader to choose all systems. In doing this, there is a primary distro whci has lilo.conf. For me it is Mandrake. All mu linux distros use the same swap and I don't think Mandrake cares where it is. Judging from the error I suspect the boot loader has an issue. It may be using the wrong init . Would you post your lilo.conf or explain how you are configuring your bootloader(s)?

Thank you for the reply.I will give you a little more background.I know this is long winded but I think it might help solve the problem.

I have XOSL which is a boot loader that includes Ranish Partition Manager.I original did not have any Linux distros installed.Rather I was using the boot loader to boot Windows XP Home and Windows ME(At the time I had some old hardware that made having ME rather handy).The boot loader never got replace because I liked the partition manager that it includes. Linux now handles that stuff quite well,but I did not know that originally.

I first installed Fedora Core 1 hda7 with grub on its root.When I first tried to install Mandrake, I tried to install it on hda2 (over the old ME) my second primary partition.It reformatted the partion but automatically change my extended partition in size so that it now included that partition,making it the new hda5 and reseting my bios from LBA to large(?) hard disk addressing.That sent everything off wack and nothing would boot.I change my bios back to LBA and used my Ranish Partition Manager to set the partitions back to the original scheme.I only lost my ME on hda2 as it was reformatted by the install.I then installed SuSE on hda2.It formatted and left it a primary partition.I let it put it's grub on the hda2 (SuSE root).It all works fine.

Now to the current attempt.I tried to install Mandrake onto hda8 in the extended partition.I thought I would make the partition reiserf so in the Mandrake installer I deleted the hda8 and then created a new one in the space left behind with reiserf.But Mandrake switched my designations, hda9 swap became hda8 and the hda8 space that I wiped out became hda9 formatted with with reiserf.(My original post shows them as I tried to make them,not as they are now).

I am not certain but I thought the whole hda1,2,etc stuff depended on the physical order on the hard drive.Is it O.K. that mandrake swapped the order?Fedora and SuSE did not seem to mind having the swap partition changed from hda9 to hda8!

When I look at the Mandrake grub I do not seen a config file.Just a menu list that reads like this

timeout 10

color black/cyan yellow/cyan

default 0

title linux

kernel (hd0,8)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda9 devfs=nomount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda8 splash=silent vga=788

initrd (hd0,8)/boot/initrd.img

title linux-nonfb

kernel (hd0,8)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda9 devfs=nomount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda8

title failsafe

kernel (hd0,8)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda9 failsafe acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda8 devfs=nomount

title windows

root (hd0,0)

Notice the kernel (hd0,8) and =/dev/hda9

The two hard drive designations seem to conflict and I am not sure why the grub which I installed on the first sector of the hda9(mandrake partiton) doesn't include a config file.

I see Mandrake try to boot.I know it is the Mandrake grub because the background and options are unique.Does any of this make sense?

OK. I don't think the swap should change. If I were doing this, I would use the SuSE grub to boot Mandrake, not installing a bootloader for Mandrake at all. I am not as familiar with grub, so I can't tell you the settings for it. I could for lilo!! Swap is found regardless of where it is because it is "swap". Linux finds swap rather than a partition. I setup lilo to boot from a different partition for libranet or ubuntu, the other current distros I have running. One boot loader, directing to different /boot files and partitions. We need a grub-er to tell us the configuration.

I suspect that the designation (hd0, 8) means hard drive ide 1 partition 8, in which case the file is wrong. If Mandrake is on hda9 , then grub need to direct the init to (hd0,9) try an edit and see what happens. You have nothing to lose!

Well I am typing this from my Mandrake partition.I decided to give it one more shot before work.

I think the problem was in the swap partition or the hda9/hda8 out of physical order business.In all my other attempts I had always left my swap partition alone.Fedora was my first Linux and installed it.Seeing as you said Linux would find the sway anywhere it was, I decided to delete it (swap) and my Mandrake partition.For extra insurance I formatted over the area with fat32 (just in case something was hanging around on that area of the drive).Then I deleted the fat32 to leave it free space.

Finally I reinstalled Mandrake.The only difference this time was I let Mandrake make my root partition and a new swap partition.Mandrake had not requested a swap partition before becuase it saw my original swap.This also caused Mandrake to keep the right partition labeling order.Hda8 is root and hda9 is swap.I still put grub on the root partition and the installer still requested and then rejected disc1.

I rebooted and everything is fine.All the other o/s boot as well and recognize the Mandrake built swap partition.Now I can get around to exploring Mandrake a little more!Thanks for the help!