New to installing from boot disc

Guest DoorGunner

Guest DoorGunner

Hi

I am trying to install mandrake.

I have started the boot disc after wiping the hard drive clean.

I used the help function of the boot disc and selected e: drive.

It shows mandrake.iso but when i select it , it will start to load and gets to about 60% and s ays that i dont have enough "far memory"....

I am unsure if i am loading it correctly? Is there a better way? and what does it mean by far memory?

needless to say i am new Linux and to loading things that dont have an autoload function :help:

Edited by DoorGunner

Welcome!

An iso is an image of a cdrom. It must be burned to a disk as an image file (not just copied) in order to utilize all of the file structure from the original. After burning, the first cd is used to boot the computer (change the bios to boot a cd device) and then the installation is self guiding.

Guest DoorGunner
Welcome!

An iso is an image of a cdrom. It must be burned to a disk as an image file (not just copied) in order to utilize all of the file structure from the original. After burning, the first cd is used to boot the computer (change the bios to boot a cd device) and then the installation is self guiding.

You were absolutley right.....i needed to copy image using nero....thanks for your help...it seems to be installing fine ...... :thanks:

Edited by DoorGunner

Hello to all,

I am having a similar problem to what this thread is addressing.

I downloaded the >> Mandrakelinux-10.1-Official-Download-CD1.i586.iso <<

code and copied it using NERO onto three CDs (CD1, 2, 3 as with the description above).

I have told the BIOS that I want my CD-ROM to be the first boot device.

Nothing is seen and I get a DOS style message to 'PRESS A KEY TO REBOOT'. Endless loop along this line...

Shouldn't the .iso file on this first CD be seen and therefore be able to be executed or otherwise installed?

Just a little roadbump. Unfortunate, as each of these iso files is in the 725MB size range. Shall we say, lengthy downloading is in my future?

Thanks in advance for any help guys and gals

proman

Seattle wannabe penguin

Be sure that you do not copy, but burn the image. I haven't used nero in a long time, and so I do not remember what it called it. You might be able to search the word "nero" here and get some hits. I know it has been discussed before. I think the nero description was confusing, unless you already know what you're looking for!

Guest DoorGunner

Im not surre what had happened with the cd's ...none of the 3 discs had a bootable option ....so i had do down load a forth disc (mandrake boot disc for them to work) ...now this was on my older machine.......it loaded at that point with little problem and works fine dispite limited resourses......

On my new computer i used the DVD version of Mandrake.....The only problem i had was when i used Partition Magic 8 to do the partiton prior to Loading Mandrake.....

My reccomendation for anyone is to LET THE MANDRAKE DISC DO THE PARTITION for you.....I cannot emphasise this enough..... :deal:

I did however use some custom partition options....this allowed me the oportunity to decide how much space i wanted Linux to use....I chose 40GB out of 200GB.....mandrake recommended that this be ext3 format .....TAKE THE RECCOMENDATIONS......It also reccommended that aprox 4x the memory of that 40GB to be used for LINUX SWAP Memory ....I used 6GB to be safe for now......Later if i decide to increase my memory allocation to Linux the same linux partion program is available in the control panel....(it can be used as well to view your partitions etc) :deal:

http://www.mandrake.tips.4.free.fr/install100.html This is a good site as it has all the windows for loading ..... I wish i had of seen this sooner than i did....it is for 9.2 but is the same in 10.1 :deal:

I also thank alll the people who have been helping me get started....your help had been invaluble..... :thanks::thumbs: B) :deal:

It also reccommended that aprox 4x the memory of that 40GB to be used for LINUX SWAP Memory ....I used 6GB to be safe for now......Later if i decide to increase my memory allocation to Linux the same linux partion program is available in the control panel....(it can be used as well to view your partitions etc) :deal:

6 GB Swap?!? :cheeky:

An old rule of thumb, was to allocate swap equal to twice your RAM. But that was before machines started having as much RAM as we have today. If you have 512MB RAM or more, you can probably get by with 512MB Swap (or less!).

I currently have 512MB RAM, and have rarely seen *any* swap used.