installing rpm's [solved]

Totovich

ok, for this question, I take the installation of Celestia as example.

This is what I did:

in Mandrake 10.1, I doubleclicked on the celestia-kde-1.3.2-3mdk.i586.rpm file that was located in my /home/username/celestiafolder.

It asked me if I wanted to install. I clicked continue. Then there came another message saying something about an error of liblualib.so and if I still wanted to continue.

I clicked yes again and that was it.

So, is it installed now, or not, and where can I find the executabe file of celestia?

Same thing happened with installing xmms.

so here are some questions:

1) while installing an rpm, do I need to login as user, or as root?

and where can I find the executabe files of the programs? (what folder)

2) when typing commands, I use the Konsole terminal in the KDE environnement (is that ok?)

3) when I download rpm's, where can I best save them before installing them? Now I allways used /home/username/folder

4) when do I have to use:

CODE./configure

make

su

make install

5) do I have to use it? I tought mandrake 10.1 installed the rpm's automtically.

6) pls don't tell me to read the post of how to install rpm's and tarballs. I read it, and it's a good post, but don't solve my problem.

7) I don't have a internet connection in Linux (yet), so I have to download things in xp, and then log in in linux to get the files.

If you explain something, tell every single step, very slow. It's my second day using Linux, so have some patience please :-)

ok, for this question, I take the installation of Celestia as example.

This is what I did:

in Mandrake 10.1, I doubleclicked on the celestia-kde-1.3.2-3mdk.i586.rpm file that was located in my /home/username/celestiafolder.

It asked me if I wanted to install. I clicked continue. Then there came another message saying something about an error of liblualib.so and if I still wanted to continue.

I clicked yes again and that was it.

So, is it installed now, or not, and where can I find the executabe file of celestia?

Same thing happened with installing xmms.

This happens because you are lacking certain packages that are used by Celestia, XMMS etc.

1) while installing an rpm, do I need to login as user, or as root?

Login as root.

type 'su' (without quotes) in a console then your root password and you are root :D

2) when typing commands, I use the Konsole terminal in the KDE environnement (is that ok?)

yup.

4) when do I have to use:

CODE./configure

make

su

make install

5) do I have to use it? I tought mandrake 10.1 installed the rpm's automtically.

When you build a program from source. rpms don't need that.

7) I don't have a internet connection in Linux (yet), so I have to download things in xp, and then log in in linux to get the files.

3) when I download rpm's, where can I best save them before installing them? Now I allways used /home/username/folder

Get your internet connection going, set up your rpm mirrors and use urpmi to install stuff. urpmi downloads, fixes dependency issues etc so you don't have to.

Go here: easyurpmi.zarb.org to set up your mirrors.

This happens because you are lacking certain packages that are used by Celestia, XMMS etc.

ok, and the solution is?

Get your internet connection going, set up your rpm mirrors and use urpmi to install stuff. urpmi downloads, fixes dependency issues etc so you don't have to.

Go here: easyurpmi.zarb.org to set up your mirrors.

give me some time... I have a speedtouch usb...

I started a topic in the hardware category. Still didn't get it to work.

Where do I fiind the executable files from fresh installed rpm's? (what folder)

I just double click on them, install them, and then I can't find them back :-)

Totovich, welcome to GNU/Linux I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Don't get me wrong if I redirect to our FAQ forum, there you'll find most of the answers to you questions. UNIX and hence GNU/LINUX is another "philosofy" so you'll need to dive into it a bit in order to understand many of the questions you are getting (ie where do I fiind the executable files from fresh installed rpm's? )

So here are some links to start (aren't the best, but may help you to feel that philosophy):

http://www.tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/ (an introduction to linux, should be mandatory)

http://mandrakeuser.org/docs/index.html (outdated but still an excellent intro for newbies)

http://mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=4452 (our FAQs)

... and ofcourse this forum.

Totovich:

When installing a program via the RPM, it is probably being put in /usr/lib (this is how the firefox rpm works). I agree, it would be nice if the rpm told you that during installation.

I guess you meant /usr/bin or whatever other bin directory (bin for binaries, lib are for libraries... an rpm package contains files of many types, so each one goes to it's place -- with exceptions). Understanding the UNIX filesystem (hence GNU/Linux) is mandatory to understand why and where the files are located (what ever type are they)... that's why I refered Totovich to those links.

In addition, rpm infact *tells* you where it is installing things, or where those things are going to be installed, or even where they were installed --> man rpm (or whatever front end you use such urpmi) ;)

Edited by aru

Totovich:

When installing a program via the RPM, it is probably being put in /usr/lib (this is how the firefox rpm works). I agree, it would be nice if the rpm told you that during installation.

I just succeeded in installing amsn :-)

but xmms still gives error. Probably because I need to update by urpmi, but I tought I have already done that...

same for celestia.

But hey, I'm already proud that I installed amsn :-D