Suse 9.2 Pro Review

aRTee

I have just finished my SUSE 9.2 Professional review, with (naturally for me) lots of comparisons with Mandrakelinux.

Read it here:

www.mandrake.tips.4.free.fr/reviewsuse92.html

I have opened a topic for 'standard' feedback on the suse forum: http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/index.php?showtopic=10630

However, in case you find something 'wrong' with what I wrote about Mandrakelinux compared to SUSE, please let me know either in this thread or in that SUSEforum thread.

Naturally you can post regular comments here too - I just found it more logical to open a 'review feedback' thread on the SUSE forums.

Nice review, aRTee! I bought the boxed 9.2 Pro, after I got a CD set for evaluation. One of the reasons that I decided to get 9.2 Pro (boxed), was the included AMD64 64 bit version, since I am planning to build such a system.

One thing I have noticed with the OS install screen, is that you must be very careful and take the time to go through each section, in order to make sure things are setup the way you need them to be.

Another thing I noticed with SuSE in general, for the OS install's package selection, is the inability to install things like Mozilla Mail, xchat, and some other things. I discovered that they are there, BUT, you have to install them AFTER your system is up and running! (I hate Evolution with a passion)

I think I will clean install 9.2 pro again, to get mozilla with flash.

Oh, on my system, SuSE installed Samba by default (ram hog), which I have NO use for.

Final note: SuSE only mounts fat32 Primary partitions, not Logical fat32 (unlike Mandrake).

Other than these few quirks (compared to Mandrake), SuSE 9.2 is a Fine distro/version.