Limewire

Guest ump

To get files from usenet, first you need a news client or a usenet binary downloader. The only one that is even remotely usable for this in linux is pan as far as I know which should be installed in your mandrake.

Next you need a good newsserver with binary news. I found that most isp are bad in terms of providing good binary news. You may need to subscribe to a newsserver such as supernews or easynews. If you are lucky, you may be able to find free ones but they will either be closed quickly or slow.

Anyway, for more information, go here

http://freenews.maxbaud.net/

With usenet, I actually found the complete macross soundtrack mp3 (there is no way you can buy the cds since they are out of print long long ago). I actually found fansubbed version of Gundam Seed episodes in there, too.. In other words, usenet can be a nice place to find stuffs (even pirated software) if you find the correct server.

Next you need a good newsserver with binary news. I found that most isp are bad in terms of providing good binary news. You may need to subscribe to a newsserver such as supernews or easynews. If you are lucky, you may be able to find free ones but they will either be closed quickly or slow. 

deadend here. i dont have a credit card and i dont know a newsserver in the philippines. thanks anyway.

ciao!

DragonMage

I went to usenet and looked at music and movies but they seemed to be chopped up into pieces I tried downloading the pieces and using cat to join then together but had no luck.

I know in my Windoze days I used a program called Mastersplitter to join them back together.

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong or a program that will make it idoit proof for a idiot like me

Thanks

ump

I use Pan but have never had it do that. All it does is just download the one. I am assuming that I might be doing something wrong is there a certein option I should check or button to click.

ump

Wasn't sure exactly what you have tried to download, but here's my thoughts. (I'm using Pan 0.13.0 in MDK 9.0)

Not only will you need all the parts of the attachment, which Pan collects and assembles for you, you will then need to be sure and collect all the parts of the file you want.

You should be seeing a green puzzle icon on the subject line if all the parts are there for the attachment. If not, you get a red puzzle piece which means you ain't getting that attachment unless you get lucky and it propagates into your newsserver or they repost it.

Larger files (usually over 5 MB) are split up farther usually with WinRAR (a windows archive app) and these attachments will have a .rar or .r00 extension - which you will need to collect more of the attachments. You can make it easier to find these by clicking on where it says "Subject" making it then say "+Subject" to sort by Subject line. You don't need the par files that are normally there, but supposedly you should be able to fix a missing part with these.

I am working with are mpeg files I have seen .rar in some but alot of what I see is file.mpg.001 file.mpg.oo2 and so on I have not had pan ever put these back together

Also on the .rar are you saying that pan will automaticlly collect and join these files ???????????

Thanks

ump

I use Phex (another Gnutella client)

I like it better than Limewire.

It's 100% pure Java, which immediately makes it near and dear to my heart, and there's a nice Aqua skin for it that makes it look SWEET.

Probably no different than limewire in most ways, but I just like Phex better.

Also, the guy that's been going

IRC... IRC.. IRC..."
is absolutely right.

I've gotten more songs from the IRC channels than anything else...even Napster when it was around. Back in my windows days, when I used mIRC, and the SPR mIRC script, it was a lot easier, but it's still totally do-able in xchat.

Problem is, I don't like any of the crap that is being released these days.

file.mpg.001 file.mpg.oo2 looks like they may belong to a playlist for some app. I am not familiar with those.

Pan can sort the headers in alphabetical order to make things easier to find --- it will not join the rar files that are attached. Pan only assembles the parts to each header that includes an attachment.

Untill I find a Linux app for this, I must use windows and WinRAR 3.1 to join these files.