Anti Virus Software

Daveleh

As for virus scanners on Linux, I t hink they are only needed in critical situations. THough you have a good reason.

As for trial software. THe one program I had was Winzip, i had it for ages. The count went up to over 300 days. Even though y ou were only meant to have it for 30.

And years ago I used a 486 (yep, it was my main computer until about 3 years ago) It had a flat battery so the clock didn't advance. Trial software became like the full version.

James

Guest NSL1212

To update f-prot virus definitions:

open a terminal,

type "cd /usr/local/f-prot/" (without the quote) (f-prot default directory)

SU to root and enter your password,

type "./check-updates.sh" (without the quote)

The "check-updates.sh" script will connect to the f-prot server and download the definitions - watch the output at the terminal.

Hope this helps.

And years ago I used a 486 (yep, it was my main computer until about 3 years ago) It had a flat battery so the clock didn't advance. Trial software became like the full version.
you can still do something similar. my brother installed XP (yeah, i know) on his machine and to avoid the need to register he set the date in his bios to 2010 or some insane year. before installing it again he installed norton anti-virus, and put in his code for that-then he changed the time back to normal. norton thought his subscription was good until 2011..

Hello:

I was able to install f-prot via rpm at the terminal, and did an update of the virus table fine. Now I can't figure out how to do a scan of my files. Could you please tell me, Mystified, how you were able to do that. Also, is my e-mail being protected by f-prot?

Thanks for your help.

To update f-prot virus definitions:

open a terminal,

type "cd /usr/local/f-prot/" (without the quote) (f-prot default directory)

SU to root and enter your password,

type "./check-updates.sh" (without the quote)

The "check-updates.sh" script will connect to the f-prot server and download the definitions - watch the output at the terminal.

Hope this helps.

I did the above, and got: [root@localhost f-prot]# ./check-updates.sh

The check-updates.sh script has been replaced by a perl script:

check-updates.pl.

The check-updates.sh script has been deprecated

Please make appropriate changes to your crontab entries.

Error: Unable to include perl module: 'HTTP::Request'.

Please install this module and try re-running this script.

(Hint: man CPAN)

Fatal error. Exiting...

[root@localhost f-prot]# exit

Maybe I should not have installed CPAN? Tech support at f-prot thought it necessary, but always showed errors. Would un-install it if I knew how.

Hello Mystified:

I solved the scanning question, so please disregard my previous posting. It's very simple, you just:

$ f-prot /home/myname

to scan all of my files in home.

and

$ f-prot /usr/local

to scan all files in /local there.

And it seems my mail is scanned too as it is in /home/myname files.

Thanks just the same. Now I'll look at the options available for scan.

Maybe it's easier to update the virus table manually, rather than in cron. Looks like a good program and it's fast.

Hello All:

My f-prot detected the W32/Bugbear.B@mm virus today in incoming e-mail. I ran a scan of just my directory because I was suspicious of one mail. I ran the scan a second time with "delete" included, and now the bugbear is gone. Hurrah. I think it's a Windows virus.

if it may be an opensource scanner ( for mailservers)...heres mayeb something...

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php...69333399f3504ac

I would try to search for some comments (ot theuir forums I think) for some comments about their effectiveniss (this is misspelled I think :))....

if it doesn't have to be commercial....else...also for f-prot....

Guest NSL1212

Hi, WilliamS,

I believed yours f-prot is the newest one, while I am still using the older version.

Just a wild guess, did your system have any perl rpms installed? Most of the perl staff is under the Development section of Software Manager.

H+BEDV AntiVirus ( http://www.hbedv.com ) is a virus scanner, available for Linux free of charge, no trial version... You just have to register with them (for free...) to get a license key by e-mail, renewable after a one year period (again, for free). Works fine, even detected the BugBear virus in my Windows partition (my girlfriend needs it for work purposes...), which AVG (another free virus scanner, but for Windows) didn't... :)

Virus definitions are updated almost everyday, and it's as easy to do as typing "antivirus --update" as root (unless you change some permissions) to do an internet update. You can also type "antivirus --update --check" as a normal user just to check for updates.

The program itself can be updated by the same means - and will, if available! In this case, you can configure AntiVir to test the update with GnuPG... :wink:

AvGuard works in the background to check open/closed/executed files (behaviour configurable). It comes packed with AntiVir... 8)

AvUpdater automatically checks for and installs updates.

This next one I haven't tried: H+BEDV (again) AvMailgate. For e-mail server/client scanning. It's available for severall different protocols.

PS: This software is free for Personal use only (after you get your personal key). A Commercial version is available as well.