Anti Virus Software

Daveleh

Hi Peeps :D

Can anyone suggest a decent anti virus program in order to check email contents.

Before anyone responds that Linux doesn't need an anti virus software, I am going to be enrolling on an online training programme where I will be talking to MSWin users. :?

So that I can ensure that I don't inadvertently pass on any virii I would like to at least check incoming emails. Also it is a requirement of enrolling that antivirus software is installed and used. S'pose they have to be careful.

I am running MDrake 8.2 on an Intel Celeron 500.

Any info would be appreciated.

Before anyone responds that Linux doesn't need an anti virus software, I am going to be enrolling on an online training programme where I will be talking to MSWin users. icon_confused.gif

So that I can ensure that I don't inadvertently pass on any virii I would like to at least check incoming emails. Also it is a requirement of enrolling that antivirus software is installed and used. S'pose they have to be careful. 

the only way you could give someone on win a virus is if you received a email with a virus attachment and forwarded the email with the attachment to a windows user.

You could say that mandrake is anti(windows)virus software :wink:

And that virii are good for allowing the best operating systems to survive and killing off all the weak systems :wink: :wink:

Although mass windows virus infections slow down the internet so thats a bad situation.

the only way you could give someone on win a virus is if you received a email with a virus attachment and forwarded the email with the attachment to a windows user.

Unfortunately that's exactly my situation. I will be in contact with a small group of (probably) sole windows users. The last thing I want to be accused of is propogating a virus that I may have received from one of them.

You could say that mandrake is anti(windows)virus software :wink: 

Exactly, but try getting a normal windows user to accept that. :?

Sophos AntiVirus.

Their website has a 30-day trial that doesn't expire.

What about virus dat updates? I used to have a copy of McAfee that wouldn't expire, or was it Nortorn, that wouldn't expire but after X amount of time you couldn't update the dat files.

It's the full version you download. The only thing that is a trial about it is the license agreement.

I used it once (that time that it picked up a DOS virus in a compiled Wine file) and haven't used it since, so I probably won't buy it. I don't even have it installed either.

"I installed f-prot and even figured out how to use it. Don't laugh."

I could not even install the thing. Was able to use Sophos though. Nice little program and easy to install (well documented at least), but too expensive to buy.

• 9 months later...
I installed f-prot and even figured out how to use it.  Don't laugh.  These things don't come with instructions!  Anyway, I was able to update my virus definitions and do a full system scan and came out clean.

I've installed f-prot, and can use it, but never been able to update virus definitions.

Would appreciate a howto, if you remember.