GNOME icon theme?

bvc

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what's anyones thoughts on the 'S' for links/symlinks? That's the one thing I inherited from the Alien icon theme for the win shortcut overlay. An 'L' would be silly and maybe the 'S' is to but the same old arrow just bores me as well. What do you think? I though about a few chain links but doubt I have the ability to 'quickly' make something like that. It would be cool, I think, but not enough to justify the time it would take me for them to look good just for the link/symlink symbol.

Edited by bvc

Nice .... but I think you need to work some more on the folders and maybe put some more colour.

Keep up the good work, bvc !  :D

more colors???? on a milk/edge-type icon theme??? :screwy:

:cheesy:

exactly!

everyone says

Alien!

Alien!

What? because they are round at the bottom?

there's about 5 hot icon out with that style some released b4 alien ;)

More color!

Color!

wouldn't go too well with Edge then would it? The Edge stock icons would look really silly if the icon theme had ANY color.

It also wouldn't be as neutral and usable with other themes like Milk, Outcrop, Ana...whatever white/bright/light

Gome needs a white icon theme...it has colored ones

If you make them White and blue....well, they look great but then they are no longer white/nuetral.

Edited by bvc

sure there is, like I said, they are more like utopia

http://www.wincustomize.com/images/store/utopia_canvas.jpg

and intended to be so. They happen to be a soft white. They are not glossy and not fat. Easy to deny when they look a lot more like utopia as intended. It's no big deal, the alien icons are fantastic. Most have never heard of or seen the utopia icons because you have to pay for them. So I can see how people would say alien. The problem I have with that is the since the alien icons have color, I think this 'they look alien' thing is tied into..'how bout some color.

I think my intent is justified, very much needed, and hopefully being accomplished.

edge

white/black

milk

light

bright

making them more universal

hence

no color

So I can certainly deny the alien call, and did intentionally when I made them to reflect utopia.

See?

Edited by bvc

hokai, let me clarify what i am saying.

firstly, i am not criticising you or your icons.

secondly, i like your icons.

thirdly, when i say that these must have been inspired by or are similar to alien, i am in no way suggesting you copied alien.

fourthly, its perfectly cool if alien was an inspiration.

fifthly, i just wanted to write fifthly

i dont see the relation to utopia and your icons, utopia are glossy, and bright and colourful.

alien are not very colourful, black and white mainly with streaks of blue.

my last comment in this: take a look at the attatched, rotated, removed blue, and increased in contrast.

you must admit there are similarities :)

keep the icon set up, its gonna look awesome when its done :D

iphitus

post-1325-1106367797_thumb.jpg

hokai, let me clarify what i am saying.

firstly, i am not criticising you or your icons.

secondly, i like your icons.

thirdly, when i say that these must have been inspired by or are similar to alien, i am in no way suggesting you copied alien.

fourthly, its perfectly cool if alien was an inspiration.

fifthly, i just wanted to write fifthly

i dont see the relation to utopia and your icons, utopia are glossy, and bright and colourful.

alien are not very colourful, black and white mainly with streaks of blue.

my last comment in this: take a look at the attatched, rotated, removed blue, and increased in contrast.

you must admit there are similarities :)

keep the icon set up, its gonna look awesome when its done :D

iphitus

I didn't think you were criticising or saying I copied

I't very difficult for me to believe anyone can't see the relation between mine and utopia. This

gnome-fs-directoryBLK.png

is the closest I have left of what I started out with. While I worked, I had the utopia folder to reference....never alienwares folder. I've now used my own edge icons more than I ever have alienwares. So it's hard to swallow. I just didn't want a copy of utopia. The major diff is the opposite length tab. When I changed this to a normal short tab and rotated the image, it was not 'so much' utopia anymore.

the image you posted tells me nothing, other than you manipulated an image to look more like something else, in this case....more like the edge folder :)

Thx for the words of encouragement!

Edited by bvc

i was just saying its similar, and the image was just proving the similarity. because you've been denying any similarity

anyway, ive got an icon theme in the works, ill be posting some previews when i get enough icons done ;)

or at least when i get the music player icon done, its gotta be the hardest icon out of em all. So many iconsets ive used have had terrible ones for that.

it's inspired by alien and amaranth-altheae

til the svg prob is fixed and I can't release these in svg....

...I've been informed that

the rendering you provide is low quality

now, It's easy to see that these are not high quality...I mean just download about anything from a windows theme site or deviantart and you'll quickly see the diff. Sure I could boot to win and probably fix these rather quickly but I won't and shouldn't have to. Anyone have a clue what I can do?

I exported from inkscapes 128x128 svg to a 400dpi png and scaled down in the gimp from the exported 711x711 to 128x128 400dpi. 600dpi seemed like overkill and I saw do diff.

Edited by bvc