GNOME icon theme?

bvc

The closed one look best in my opinion, would it be to much to ask for a cedega icon(s) in the theme?

well I don't know, does it fit into the color scheme? I highly doubt it, but I don't know what one looks like and a quick google did nothing. I'm not out to make custom icons for non-icon theme stuff. I'll be lucky for get enough icons to even consider this a theme :lol2: ...icon are a very tedious process if you wnat more than a cartoon image like what we've see released for gnome in the past 2 years ;)

oh, and arctic, dpi is for printing and has nothing to do with the image otherwise. To increase the dpi is to increase the size. Hardly possible for a small, scalable icon. Unless you know some great commandline secret to override inkscape and gimp.

Edited by bvc

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh, and arctic, dpi is for printing and has nothing to do with the image otherwise. To increase the dpi is to increase the size. Hardly possible for a small, scalable icon. Unless you know some great commandline secret to override inkscape and gimp.

dpi has not only to do with printing. first and foremost it is a graphics-thing, not a printing thing. make e.g. a wallpaper with 72 dpi and write something with these 72 dpi. it will look bad. if you set the default to 300+ dpi it will look a lot better. of course, a higher dpi-value makes files bigger. the opposite would be a miracle. ;)

you can set the default dpi for exporting in inkscape to anything you want. yes, the image will be a lot bigger (because you work with higher dpi graphics) but this is not really a big problem. create a new image in gimp with e.g. 300 dpi, then import the graphic, resample its size (so it fits into the image-canvas) and flatten the layers. the higher the base-layer dpi setting, the better the result. and when creating files that are only max. 64x64 pixels, you won't have too big files.

Maybe adding some Neon lights between the space of the map icons, something like NEONMILK would be really nice :D.

I'm trying to remain as neutral as possible so that it's not either alien or aqua. That way it can be used with any light or dark desktop/gtk/mcity etc...

http://bvc.kernow-webhosting.com/theme/devel/icon-shot3.jpg

...k so I said I wasn't going to mess with mimetypes but I needed a break from the icons I was working on and I was bored. I don't like theme anyway.

Edited by bvc

dpi has not only to do with printing. first and foremost it is a graphics-thing, not a printing thing. make e.g. a wallpaper with 72 dpi and write something with these 72 dpi. it will look bad. if you set the default to 300+ dpi it will look a lot better. of course, a higher dpi-value makes files bigger. the opposite would be a miracle. ;)

you can set the default dpi for exporting in inkscape to anything you want. yes, the image will be a lot bigger (because you work with higher dpi graphics) but this is not really a big problem. create a new image in gimp with e.g. 300 dpi, then import the graphic, resample its size (so it fits into the image-canvas) and flatten the layers. the higher the base-layer dpi setting, the better the result. and when creating files that are only max. 64x64 pixels, you won't have too big files.

k, so I confirmed this with the prepress manager at work. Thx! So I export from inkscape at say...400dpi to a png and scale it down with gimp? Seems weird because too much scaling down can be a prob to. Guess you have to find that happy medium, eh?

I'll try it later when I get home.

thx arctic! That seemed to help a little. Still squigly when stretched, but the ones that are are like that in inkscape to. I've asked around and found that others are having the same prob as if it's abnormal and occassional but it happens to me everytime I have a straight line at an angle. Oh well, you can't see it at normal sizes.

screenie

http://bvc.kernow-webhosting.com/theme/devel/icon-shot3.jpg

pre.png

:D thx!

I need a few more b4 I can release a bare bones version to inherit the rest from the gnome icon theme. I need a trash icon for one....that ought to be interesting but nothing has come to mind yet as to what will flow from the paint brush, so to speak.

question:

which is better for a Computer icon

one the top row

1. the monitor on the left

2. the (intended) server icon on the right?