hostname and port for internet gaming.

VeeDubb

This is sort of a game related question, but since it is totaly a network/internet problem, I think it should go here.

I just got a copy of Majest:Gold for linux this Christmas and a friend of mine who is a windows guy, decided to get a copy so we could play. However, we're having trouble wetting up the connection.

It supports connection over tcp/ip given a hostname and port. What hostname and port should I use, or how should I figure that out?

We're both connected to the internet through qwest DSL (different account in different towns of course) , so we're each on our own litle home networks. From my DSL router I can get the following info:

Current Status
Firmware Version:  
MAC Address  
Connection  
Mode
IP Address  
Subnet Mask  
Gateway
DNS #1  
DNS #2 	 
LAN   
IP Address  
Net Mask
DHCP Server

The gateway listed is the actual DSL node that my dsl router connects to. The IP and DNS's are the ones dynamicaly asigned to me by qwest. Behind the router, I use static IP's 192.168.0.2 for my PC. The LAN is IP address for back end of the DSL router that my home network talks to. 192.168.0.1 Same deal at my friends house, ecept the OS is WinXP.

And I also know my local home network IP & hostname for my PC. Of course, If I have my friend enter penguin.office.home as a hostname to connect with me, he isn't going to get to me.

If everybody is using windows, gamespy arcade can set up the connections for you, but that's not realy an option, since last I checked, gamespy doesn't have a linux version. And realy, why would they bother?

Anyway, any suggestions appreciated.

Edited by VeeDubb

OKay, my router DOES have a section for port forwarding, but it asks for an IP port range. what on earth is that? There are two boxes, so it asks for "blank TO blank" if I just want to forward port 2000, should I enter '2000' to '2000 or should I be putting something else there? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest CompCrazyFrog

I've had such a problems with a billiards game.

To allow DX-based games your settings should allow:

1) 47624 TCP Outbound (for initial connection)

2) 2300-2400 TCP both Inbound & Outbound (for subsequent connections)

3) 2300-2400 UDP both Inbound & Outbound

I've got that somewhere on internet and don't know if this will work for all network games...

Rita Brown