Palm M105 and Mandrake 9.0

mousematt

hm...and you have no /dev/ttyS*?

did you plug it in, place the palm in the cradle, turn it on and open up MCC and check the hardware list?

it's very odd that you don't have any ttyS*'s, as even if something wasn't plugged in mandrake should see the serial ports...

anyone else have any ideas?

I've got a Sony Clie with USB cradle.

When I connect the cradle and press sync button it recognises the device, but on searching the net it looks like the Clie is the worst for sync'ing with Linux. I followed a load of links from KDE's PIM site and there where a lot of useful info. Sorry cant remember the address but start off with Kpilot and work from there.

Mandrake (and Linux in general) is very good with detecting these devices, the problem is probably with the Palm (we have had a similar thread where the problem was with a faulty cradle). But let's not rule out the serial port, for now.

I would start by trying another serial port (if you have more than one, which you should), if that doesn't work, try disconnecting everything from your serial ports except the Palm.

If you still have no love, take your Palm to another computer and try it there. Once you have confirmed that the Palm is working fine and that the problem must be isolated to your computer, we can start looking at your serial ports.

It also wouldn't hurt to upgrade to a USB cradle (if possible). I have had less hassles with them, although many people will tell you that serial port cradles should be the more trouble-free of the two.

m100 Palm here. Linked successfully for the first time with Mandrake 9. But I have a usb cradle and would highly recommend switching to usb. I hav eposted several times about my palm experiences, if you will search the posts for "palm".

so let me make sure i understand this...

you go into /dev, and there are no ttyS*'s? because that is extremely odd...I would try to figure out what's up with that before moving on to getting the palm working.

With the usb link, the connection "goes live" when used. So when I link, I have to press the sync button in the software (jpilot) before communication is established. After this, the palm will sync by pressing the cradle button, and then the sync button in the software.

Since a serial port should be "live" all the time, I am also curious as to why you have none. Are they turned off in the bios?

I would try the proceedure of pressing the cradle button first and then the sync button in the software. It seems that you should boot with the cradle attached to the com port, rather than hot connections, like usb.

Summary:

Check that your ports are active in the bios.

Connect the cradle prior to boot.

Follow the described order in button pressing.

Hope this helps.

• 1 year later...

So I have a similar problem. I have a Palm IIIc with the serial cradle. I can sync under Mandrake 10.0 with a serial cable, but not this cradle. I checked the cradle. First it works perfectly under Windows 2000 for me on the same machine, same physical serial connection. So I know that its not a hardware thing, but software. Also, since I've tried other distros on the same machine and they work, I know where my difficulties lie.

But I've also tried this same configuration on other computers with older versions of Mandrake (9.1) to be exact. The set works. So I'm thinking it is Mandrake 10.0 not liking my computer or something. However I had the same problem with Mandrake 10.1.

ONE time, after removing everything, and adding only necessities along the way that it needed did it work. As soon as I rebooted, I was back to the same situation.

Any hints are appreciated as well.