Samba Mounts

3lade

I have installed md9 and so far great. But when I was using 8.2 i used LinNeighborhood to access mt networked files on the NT network. This time I thought I would try mounting them as Samba mounts. Think I have it sorted, I changed the mount points to my local directory and I can access all the files from various NT shares. One problem, I cant delete anything, I have not tried modifing anything yet but I am sure the result will be the same.

How can I change the properties so that I can read and write to the mounted files.

Cheers,

Adam.

Guest joehill

are the directories NTFS? if so, you will need, i think, to have an account on the NT box.

also, I am not sure about mounting windows shares as Samba mounts. Sounds kinda fishy; have you tried just doing it the way you had it before? It seems to me it's the same amount of work unless you want to have them mounted at boot/login.

There seems to be some problems with Samba and 9.0. Rickles has posted something about his problems and I also am having problems. I had no problem accessing my Windows boxes (2000, ME, and XP) from 8.2 (I don't let them access my Linux box), but cannot from 9.0. From ControlCenter Samba Mounts they are there, but I can't access their files. I am not using Shorewall (checked and it is not even installed). I am quite unsure what to do. My Samba config file is fine although I see that there is also a smb-winbind.conf file. Needless to say my printer, on the xP box) is not available. It's enough for me to go back to 8.2.

Well not wanting to go back to 8.2 just yet I've gone back to LinNeighborhood. Only it won't remember the mounts each time I log in. I have found the only way is leave Lin' running and save future sessions.

Any idea on how to now remove the smb mounts I created?

Guest joehill

to unmount anything you should be able to use the Mandrake Ctrl Ctr, there is a heading for Mount Points.

make sure you click yes when it asks you if you want to modify fstab so that it does not try to mount them again at boot.

• 2 weeks later...
I have installed md9 and so far great. But when I was using 8.2 i used LinNeighborhood to access mt networked files on the NT network. This time I thought I would try mounting them as Samba mounts. Think I have it sorted, I changed the mount points to my local directory and I can access all the files from various NT shares. One problem, I cant delete anything, I have not tried modifing anything yet but I am sure the result will be the same.

How can I change the properties so that I can read and write to the mounted files.

Cheers,

Adam.

You need to set a uid, gid and umask for the shares, so that you have access as the user who is trying to access them after mounting. You will need to add it in the advanced settings.

Something like 'uid=501,gid=501,umask=027' will give uid 501 full access, group with gid 501 read-only, and everyone else no access.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest southernguy

ok this is the 411th time i have seen LinNeighoorhood mentioned. where in mdk9.0 can i find it. while i am at it i have seen 'komba' mentioned a couple times where can i find that?

all my samba and stuff is working and i can browse everywhere from everywhere im just interested in these apps or interfaces whatever they are.

• 2 weeks later...
ok this is the 411th time i have seen LinNeighoorhood mentioned.  where in mdk9.0 can i find it. while i am at it i have seen 'komba' mentioned a couple times where can i find that?

all my samba and stuff is working and i can browse everywhere from everywhere im just interested in these apps or interfaces whatever they are.

They are in contribs, if you don't have a contrib source setup, you are missing half the software.

To setup more RPM sources, see:

http://nanardon.homelinux.org/urpmi.setup/

and

http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/index.php