CUPS update - can no longer print in Mandrake 10.1

crispus

After updating my sources I recently ran Mandrake update under MCC and one of the packages that was updated was CUPS to cups-1.1.21-0.rc1.7mdk.i586.rpm.

However, since then I can no longer print from my web browser (firefox) or OpenOffice. I was able to print from a text editor. I use an HP deskjet 932c via a USB connection.

The print jobs are showing up in the queue (CUPS job control) but show as aborted. All status checks of the printer show as working.

Is this a known problem? Can I just roll back the CUPS version by removing the package in MCC and reinstalling the version from the 10.1 OE disks? Will the newer version from cooker give me grief?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Regards,

Crispus

Have you tried deleting the printer and reinstalling it?

Just open the CUPS control (web browoser on localhost:621) http://localhost:631 or the KDE Printer manager.

then try deleting it and recreate it ?

Its a horribly windows like solution but it works for me when similar things have happened....

edits

thx polemicz updated link

Ok I tried that and then attempted to print a test page. This is the output of completed jobs:

HPDeskjedt932-37

Test Page

aborted

The output is aborted. No idea why.

-Crispus

additional info:

I've also tried rolling back the cups version to the ones on the MDK 10.1 OE disk but the problem still persists. I can print from the CLI using the lpr command and I can print from text programs like pan and any editor but not from firefox, thunderbird, or openoffice.

The only file I can't figure out how to roll back is the libcups2 file (it asks to remove too many things) to make it match the cups, and cups-common version.

Edited by crispus

The only file I can't figure out how to roll back is the libcups2 file (it asks to remove too many things) to make it match the cups, and cups-common version.

# rpm -Uvh --nodeps --replacefiles --replacepkgs libcups2-xxx.rpm

replace the "x"s with the proper name of the rpm. might have to use the --force option, too.