Neverwinter Nights vs MDK 10.1 [solved]

Trendane

First off...I feel like a complete and total tool for having to post this, and maybe I am.

Okay, I *had* NWN working under 10.0 Community. When 10.1 Official came out, I updated everything and, what a surprise, it's stopped working again. It wouldn't bug me so much if I hadn't figured it out once before, and now I can't remember what I did. So, here's the way it rolls out...

1) I d/l the driver installer from Nvidia

2) shutdown X

3) sh NVIDIAblahblahblah.run

4) It goes through the process, complainig about no precompiled kernel and I carry on.

5) It says that the rivafb driver is loaded as modular and will conflict....continue

6) It builds the kernel module and errors out saying that nvidia.ko couldn't load because the module was built with the wrong kernel source files

I just wanna chop some goblins!!! Is that some much to frikkin' ask??

Now, I don't know if this has any relevance or not but, I LLUUUUUV real estate. The more desktop space I have, the better. When I had the downloaded drivers installed before, the display would only go up to 1280x1024 without that pan&scan crap that I hate so much. Now, since I've updated to 10.1, I can get my beloved 16x12....but I keep getting that

Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".

whenever I try to fire up NWN.

So, without hammeering me too hard about my apperantly faulty short term memory...any hints as to what could be wrong?

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't read your post properly, the nvidia module is not being compiled at all. Look under /usr/src and make sure you have a symlink there called Linux that points to you kernel source.

You might have to urpmi the kernel source and then recompile the nvidia module (run the installer).

Look at your xorg.conf or XF86Config-4 file and make sure that the line

load  "glx"

is uncommented. Also that you have set the proper driver under the device section of that file.

Look under /usr/src and make sure you have a symlink there called Linux that points to you kernel source.

Look at your xorg.conf or XF86Config-4 file and make sure that the line

load  "glx"

is uncommented. Also that you have set the proper driver under the device section of that file.

Well...having looked at all this, I discovered that the glx line *was* commented out, thank you for that. But while looking into the /usr/src/linux symlink issue...I discovred that it's pointing to linux-2.6.3-7mdk/ and according to dmesg, I'm running 2.6.3-4mdk

So, now I'll broaden my search to figure out howl to recompile my kernel. Given my talent for web searches....this should only take a couple of years.

Thanks for your help!!

Cool! All you really need to do though, is delete the symlink and re-create it with ln -s and that should do the trick. man ln if you need help doing that.

Also, once you have the nvidia driver installed, the following commands are usefull to checkout your direct rendering:

$ glxinfo |grep direct
$ glxgears

The first will tell you if direct rendering is working and the second will benchmark your performance by measuring your fps.

Also, once you have the nvidia driver installed, the following commands are usefull to checkout your direct rendering:
$ glxinfo |grep direct
$ glxgears

The first will tell you if direct rendering is working and the second will benchmark your performance by measuring your fps.

Well...the kernel issue is taken care of. I've got the nvidia driver installed....but I think I've screwed something up somewhere. Neither xorg.conf or XF86Config show the load "glx" line anymore. Where it was, there is now a:

Load "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so"

And I remember seeing a warning message during the nvidia compilation that said something about a 1.2 version of the glx file existing. As such, I'm still getting the errors listed before.

glxinfo |grep direct returns this error.

[trendane@Carradesh X11]$ glxinfo |grep direct

Error: couldn't find RGB GLX visual

And, I don't know if this means anything but, the 'nv driver would do 1600x1200x24 beautifully....the 'nvidia' driver does 1600x1200x24...but I'm seeing little flickering/tearing lines across the screen.

I'll make the sacrifice of moving down to 12x10 if I abolutely have to *shudder*....I just want NWN working again.

Edited by Trendane

Here is the end of the installer_log...if it helps to clarify the situation.

-> Uninstalling NVIDIA Accelerated Graphics Driver for Linux-x86 (1.0-5336):

WARNING: Unable to restore symbolic link /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1 ->

libGL.so.1.2 (File exists).

-> done.

-> Uninstallation of existing driver: NVIDIA Accelerated Graphics Driver for

Linux-x86 (1.0-5336) is complete.

-> Installing 'NVIDIA Accelerated Graphics Driver for Linux-x86' (1.0-6629):

executing: './usr/src/nv/makedevices.sh'...

executing: '/sbin/ldconfig'...

executing: '/sbin/depmod -aq'...

-> done.

-> Driver file installation is complete.

-> Running post-install sanity check:

-> done.

-> Post-install sanity check passed.

-> Shared memory test passed.

-> Running runtime sanity check:

-> done.

-> Runtime sanity check passed.

-> Installation of the NVIDIA Accelerated Graphics Driver for Linux-x86

(version: 1.0-6629) is now complete. Please update your XF86Config or

xorg.conf file as appropriate; see the file

/usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/README for details.

You have succesfully installed the driver. Don't touch it. What errors do you get when you startx (look in /var/log/xorg. .log)

Or add /etc/X11/xorg.conf under section device: Option "NvAGP" "3" (or "0")

/var/log/Xorg.0.log shows this error near the end:

(EE) Failed to initialize GLX extension (NVIDIA X driver not found)

As for adding the.....ohhh.waaaaaiiiit. I think I found the problem.

Section "Device"

Identifier "device1"

VendorName "Nvidia Corporation"

BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce4 (generic)"

Driver "nv"

Option "DPMS"

Option "IgnoreEDID" "1"

I've changed "nv" to "nvidia" so many times...I may well have thought I'd done it again. Let me try switching that and see if this works. (stupidstupidstupidstupidstupid). :wall:

Okay...yes, I'm a complete and total tool. BUT...in my defense, while the GLX problem seems to be solved....( glxgears is working ) my resolution problem has resurfaced. The desktop is larger than the screen (y'know, mouse to the edge and it pans over) and seems bent on *NOT* doing 1600x1200x24bpp like I want.

Does 3D acceleration cut down on the available res and color depth options?

So, let's mark the GLX errors as SOLVED....and I'll start a new thread about this resolution problem.

Thanks for all your help on this. Sorry I didn't notice the "nv" thing earlier.