Mandrake News

ral

One place Mandrake should look is towards offering desktop replacement solutions to major corporations. They could provide replacements for the Win-centered solutions corporations now have available, including porting macros over to OpenOffice, porting proprietary apps to Linux, and generally giving the Corps a reason to split away from M$ for their desktop solutions.

I know that if my corp offered it, I'd switch to Linux in a second.

http://www.newsfactor.com/perl/story/20404.html

Going after the enterprise market is good. 93% of of RedHat sales is to this sector.

I wonder what the breakdown of that percentage is though? How much of that 93% represents servers compared to desktop machines and what percentage is in techinical sectors compared to an office, or corporate, environment?

They don't have the technical support that would be demanded by enterprise customers. Do you really think MandrakeExpert would fill the bill? Those people cannot even satisfy individual users. Sadly, it's a distro desperately searching for a market. Should they alienate the downloaders with a single CD, they will be toast by next summer.

A further comment is needed here. Most of the distros take software written by others and stitch it together with their particular tools. Mandrake has earned the credibility it has by providing tools that make installation and maintenance a breeze for most users, individual and otherwise. They are not, nor do I believe they will get the capability of developing application software like KDE, Gnome, Sun, Codeweavers and others, given their current financial problems any time soon. In a word they cannot hope to develop M$ beating desktop apps in their current configuration as a company without a substantial infusion of new capital.

Counterspy