Mandrake 10.1 OE boot up problem on ThinkPad R30

clair

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ScM: I would suggest starting a new topic about the issue you're having, as we try to keep issues seperate.

however, my suggestion is to run the following after logging in as root user:

fc-cache -v

and try again.  you're missing the "fixed" font, basically.  running fc-cache as root may fix that.

i have tried that, as well as other things...i can run mcc...startx -- :1 doesnt work (i may be a n00b, but i know to try things that have been previously suggested, sorry for not posting that i have tried it...)

it worked for a while, then i installed apache, and configured it, and did a few permission changes, and nothing worked...then i logged out (not even rebooted) and it logged into the text-based gui..

Change back the permissions.

And if you installed and re-installed make sure that during the installs/re-installs you made it reformat all partition(s).

i have changed the permissions back, i did reformat everything, on each install, and i still cant get it to work, i'm going to go to slackware in a few days here if i cant get mandrake to work.... :wall: although i really like mandrake, and want to use it...

• 4 weeks later...
i have changed the permissions back, i did reformat everything, on each install, and i still cant get it to work, i'm going to go to slackware in a few days here if i cant get mandrake to work.... :wall: although i really like mandrake, and want to use it...

Hello Folks! I'm new here and thought I'd offer some potential helpful information. I've run into what appears to be the same issue recently:

a ) Full, new, complete install of Mandrake 10.1, I have a tendency to format the /usr, /, /var and /tmp partitions on each new version and do a complete install instead of upgrade.

b ) On initial startup, the display manager boots up, shows the blue Mandrake splashscreen then appears to freeze

c ) At that point, the mouse can be moved around, but there's nothing, no logon, no Mandrake first time startup.

I've found a solution that works for me. BTW, I'm a programmer with reasonable troubleshooting skills. The following may work for everyone else experiencing the same issue. If you require the Chinese interpreters, please ignore this solution, it won't work for you.

Problem: as outlined above

Cause: the Chinese libraries/interpreter is causing the problem.

Solution:

a ) after a boot up and you're at the blue Mandrake splashscreen: press <ctl> + <alt> + <f4>, this will take you to a terminal session

b ) login as either a regular individual that can su to root, or root directly (depending on the security you selected, you may not be able to log in directly as root)

c ) if you logged in as a regular individual, su to root

d ) make sure the graphical display manager is shutdown with the command: init 3

e ) at this point, you want to identify all the possible packages installed for the Chinese interpreter, you can do so with the following command: rpm -q -a |grep -i 'scim'

f ) a list of packages should be displayed, one example may be: libscim-m17n0-0.1.3-1mdk

g ) you want to remove all those, you can do so with the following command: rpm -e --nodeps <pkg name>, the -e is to erase from your system, the --nodeps leaves all dependencies in place in the event the dependency is needed for another package, don't want to break something else

h ) keep repeating item g till item e no longer shows anything

i ) go ahead and start up the graphical display with the command: init 5 , this will automatically take you to terminal F7 and the graphical display

j ) after you've stepped through a questionaire, you should get the login screen as normal

k ) go back to the terminal session at F4, item a, and logout of all accounts you logged in

Hope this works for you as well as it did for me, I was experiencing a number of problems all from the same issue.

:lol: