Mandrake 10.1 OE boot up problem on ThinkPad R30

clair

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no worries clair!  we're here to help ;)  let us know how things work out!  we'll get you up and running soon, hopefully :)

I am going home now... Need to sleep. But before I sleep I will do what you said. Apparently we are on different time zones and can't talk simultaneously :lol: Oh well. Thanks. I hope that we'll fix this thing soon and post a documentation for newbies like me :blush:

I'm in EST (pennsylvania, usa - hence the /home/USA/PA ;) )

if you click on the chat button for the IRC channel, I'm almost always there. Along with quite a few other weirdo's.

Edited by tymark

Oops, forgot that you need to also choose Gnome Desktop as an added X server when installing, to use gdm. Therefore type kdm at the prompt and see if you can get in after interactive booting. If you can then after logging in, reboot again. I personally install multiple X servers for instances where there are video, desktop/Xserver issues.

Or better yet if kdm fails, install Gnome Desktop manager from the CD at a command prompt using rpm. Then reboot, get to the Interactive command prompt and then gdm to the desktop.

Also look at your video screen when either using the command kdm or gdm at the very bottom and see if there is a thin strip that seems to be a bit lighter (it is partially backlit on a clear black screen) if it hangs after the command. Then it's definitely a video/Xserver issue. You most likely got a radeon mobility chip in your notebook and so there are a few issues using the standard radeon fglx driver.

I went through all the Xorg stuff, editing the XF86Config*/xconfig/etc and got almost all the same errors. And at one point there was even a point that needed a recompiling of the kernel ( at least for mysellf), which is just too much work to do to bypass a basic video issue and a problem with first init boot process on certain laptops, which yours may also fall under.

Since you lost your dual boot, if you re-install Mandrake make sure to let the install (re)format the partition(s) as there are certain files that do not get properly overwritten to clean up the XServer config files.

Good Luck!

Oops, forgot that you need to also choose Gnome Desktop as an added X server when installing, to use gdm. Therefore type kdm at the prompt and see if you can get in after interactive booting. If you can then after logging in, reboot again. I personally install multiple X servers for instances where there are video, desktop/Xserver issues.

gdm, kdm, and that ilk aren't X servers - they are desktop managers. There are two main X servers, Xfree86 (most distro's a shifting away from this to the second) and x.org. I don't know if Mandrake 10.1 ships with both, but I believe it only ships with x.org 6.7.0.

You most likely got a radeon mobility chip in your notebook and so there are a few issues using the standard radeon fglx driver.

the video card for the R30 is a Trident CyberBlade Ai1, which shouldn't cause any driver issues. I'm still trying to figure out why this is happening, her X server is starting...it just seems like kdm isn't working for some reason.

Clair: now that I think about it, did you set up the system during the install to automatically log you in?

Edited by tymark

Clair: How did you manage to over-write Windows when re-installing Mandrake? (I may need to do this) Aren't you meant to install Windows and then Mandrake so the Linux boot loader can handle it? Did you alter any of the partitions, etc?

I am going home now... Need to sleep. But before I sleep I will do what you said. Apparently we are on different time zones and can't talk simultaneously :lol:

You think you have a hard time with the time zones, I'm in England! At least you're all in the same country.

tymark: Typing: ps -fu root gave me a list of processes (for some reason, typing: ps -fu root | grep X

just returned a prompt) but there is no process 7183 to kill the, largest number is 4200.

Typing startx after this loaded KDE!! WOO-HOOO! But the mouse was frozen for some reason: D'oh! And it didn't boot past the pop-up welcome box you get when you start the system for the first time. Although if I added the command switches: startx -- :1 it got to the desktop :-) Is there anything I can do about the mouse now I can get to the system config tools? I tried using a universal PS/2 mouse driver instead of the default, but it didn't work.

PS. Since I used the Alt-Ctrl-F8 command it goes into a command prompt every time at that point, is this normal? How can I get the log-in GUI back?

Tymark and User: Hooray! I now have a graphical log in...

gdm isn't installed but xdm and Mdkdm are. I tried both (but not at the same time, of course) and they both work. :D I chose Mdkkdm. I don't know what went wrong during the installation but setting it in MCC helped. It's working fine now so that's cool :cheesy:

I don't know if Mandrake 10.1 ships with both, but I believe it only ships with x.org 6.7.0.

Mandrake 10 came with XFree86. Mandrake 10.1 OE came with x.org

Tymark: I remember that I set up the system during the install to automatically log you in. I think I had someone explain to me about this when I was installing.

You think you have a hard time with the time zones, I'm in England! At least you're all in the same country.

mark_667: Sorry to tell you but I am in Manila, Philippines. Not in the US:) So we are all in different time zones! But these people here in the forums are very helpful no matter where they are.

Clair: How did you manage to over-write Windows when re-installing Mandrake? (I may need to do this) Aren't you meant to install Windows and then Mandrake so the Linux boot loader can handle it? Did you alter any of the partitions, etc?

I managed to overwrite Windows during the partition set up. The Advanced setup for the partition, I think. I was just supposed to install mandrake in the empty space but when I was selecting how much space should be allocated, I made a mistake and wanted to undo it. I selected "clear all" by accident. And so everything got cleared up:( So that is how you go about it. You clear all.

And yes, Windows was installed first in one partition then Mandrake. But now, I have only Mandrake 10.1 OE :D And by the way, you seem to have a big problem with your mouse. Sorry, I can't help you with that :(

PS. Since I used the Alt-Ctrl-F8 command it goes into a command prompt every time at that point, is this normal? How can I get the log-in GUI back?

Maybe you could try

startx -- :1

then go to the Mandrake Control Center then Display Manager then select gdm or kdm or xdm or something. That was what Tymark mentioned to me in his post.

hmm...I'm gonna have to think on this a little, we need to find out why the login prompt isn't working (I just woke up - can't think much yet, and gotta go to class wink.gif ). I'll tell you what though, for now do startx -- :1 and go into mcc and make sure "gdm" is installed, then find the "display manager" option in mcc (I don't know where it is in 10.1, but it used to be under hardware - I'm sure they moved it) and change it to gdm. reboot, and see if you get a login screen this time.

mark_667: Hope that helps!

Again, thanks so much everyone! :thanks:

I don't know if Mandrake 10.1 ships with both, but I believe it only ships with x.org 6.7.0.

Mandrake 10 came with XFree86. Mandrake 10.1 OE came with x.org

right right. that's what i said ;)

Tymark: I remember that I set up the system during the install to automatically log you in. I think I had someone explain to me about this when I was installing.
there might have been some weird issues with that and kde, it's my best guess at what was wrong.

mark_667: Sorry to tell you but I am in Manila, Philippines. Not in the US:) So we are all in different time zones! But these people here in the forums are very helpful no matter where they are.

We're all over the place :jester: it's pretty normal around here though.

Typing startx after this loaded KDE!! WOO-HOOO! But the mouse was frozen for some reason: D'oh!

can you post your /etc/X11/xorg.conf? And what kind of mouse is it?

Edited by tymark

there might have been some weird issues with that and kde, it's my best guess at what was wrong.

Hmmm. Very weird issues indeed. I had no problem on the desktop when I upgraded it from Mdk 10 to Mdk 10.1OE

We're all over the place  :jester: it's pretty normal around here though.

Yeah :D Looks like it.

can you post your /etc/X11/xorg.conf?  And what kind of mouse is it?

What do the stuff in xorg.conf mean? Is there an FAQ for these things? :)

What do the stuff in xorg.conf mean? Is there an FAQ for these things?:)

I've never seen a FAQ on it, I've just sort of learned through a lot of helping people and getting help myself. I'm sure there's a FAQ somewhere, but some things have their own settings (like nvidia cards) so sometimes it's hardware dependant. Mostly it's just settings for your keyboard, mouse, video card, monitor, fonts etc.

What do the stuff in xorg.conf mean? Is there an FAQ for these things?:)

I've never seen a FAQ on it, I've just sort of learned through a lot of helping people and getting help myself. I'm sure there's a FAQ somewhere, but some things have their own settings (like nvidia cards) so sometimes it's hardware dependant. Mostly it's just settings for your keyboard, mouse, video card, monitor, fonts etc.

Ah ok. I will just try to keep on learning these things. I hope mark_667's problem will have a fix soon.

B)

lol, i am having a similar problem to theirs....i get the Fatal Error: font 'fixed" or what ever it said (i also get one that says connection reset by peer) and i cannot load a gui(other than the text based one)... i have an nvidia geforce mx420 card, and i configured it properly when i installed it...any suggestions (btw i am a *nix n00b, and this is my first attempt at keeping a *nix distro running...)- it worked for a while, then i installed apache, and configured it, and did a few permission changes, and nothing worked...then i logged out (not even rebooted) and it logged into the text-based gui...i really liked mandrake, and wish to continue using it, but i fear that may not be possible due to this problem....i have installed/re-installed it several times...

here are the things it tells me...

could not init font path element unix/:-1
and
XIO: fatal IO error 104 (connection reset by peer) on x server ":0.0"

plz help, i am badly wanting to get rid of windows as my main os...oh, btw, i am running mandrake 10.0, not 10.1 like the others...

Edited by ScM

ScM: I would suggest starting a new topic about the issue you're having, as we try to keep issues seperate.

however, my suggestion is to run the following after logging in as root user:

fc-cache -v

and try again. you're missing the "fixed" font, basically. running fc-cache as root may fix that.