Mandrake 10.1 OE boot up problem on ThinkPad R30

clair

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bad admin!  go back to your corner!

Awwww... *pats head of Ixthusdan* It's ok, Ixthusdan... You've been really helpful. Maybe you were tired when you typed that message.

Ixthusdan and Tymark: I tried 'mcc' but to no avail :( I typed 'startx' on the command line and this is what came on the screen afterwards

xauth: creating new authority file /home/eclair/.Xauthority

xauth: creating new authority file /home/eclair/.Xauthority

Fatal server error:

Server is already active for display 0

If this server is no longer running remove /tmp/.x0-lock

Please consult The X.Org Foundation support at http://wiki.X.Org for help.

Xlib: Connection to ":0.0" refused by server

Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key giving up

Xinit: Unable to connect to X server

Xinit: No such process (errorno 3): server error

I haven't tried the wiki of X.org yet :unsure: But if you could make sense out of this, I would be grateful indeed.

Had a similar problem on an Acer and a Toshiba, so this may help.

Like yourself, dual booting Win 2000 Pro and Mandrake 10.1. It all installed correctly, but would freeze at the Blue Mandrake logo screen.

2 things you may try to verify/do.

When booting, hit Shift "I" to do interactive and allow just about everything except perhaps for apmd and acpi (press N for those - can try Y too, may work for you). When you get to dm, press N(o) so you do not go into the graphical display manager. This will drop you to a command prompt. Login as root. Then type gdm, and if this gets you into the Graphical Menu's then go in and login (if setup to not autologin, and let everything generate). Then quit and reboot. Should hopefully work for you then.

If the above fails, then when installing (or you can just do an upgrade - recommend re-install as it "should" not affect the dual boot) if your monitor is detected as flat panel, set it to a regular screen (and as it is a notebook be careful here) and set it to 1024x768 @ 60hz (your desktop display can be set to display at a higher setting later in the config screen). Then redo the above steps, if when you changed the monitor setting and did the first boot, it hung.

Fatal server error:

If this server is no longer running remove /tmp/.x0-lock

Please consult The X.Org Foundation support at http://wiki.X.Org for help.

This is our area of concern. User has a good suggestion with the interactive startup, but I'd like to suggest a different route (you choose ;) ):

1) Press Ctrl+Alt+F7 - if it's just a black screen with a blinking _ then go to step 2, if not, then it should be a login prompt, and if it is, then login ;)

2) We need to delete /tmp/.x0-lock, and we need to be root to do it. so do the following:

su

you'll be asked for your root password, enter it - this step isn't necessary if you logged in as root.

Then:

rm -rf /tmp/.x0-lock

and try to startx again, report any errors.

OT

Awwww... *pats head of Ixthusdan* It's ok, Ixthusdan... You've been really helpful. Maybe you were tired when you typed that message.

Bah! tired, pfft, we all know the truth...Ix is evil! an evil admin! :jester:

Edited by tymark

Had a similar problem on an Acer and a Toshiba, so this may help.

Like yourself, dual booting Win 2000 Pro and Mandrake 10.1. It all installed correctly, but would freeze at the Blue Mandrake logo screen.

Not anymore... I accidentally nuked Windows 2000 Pro :(

2 things you may try to verify/do.

When booting, hit Shift "I" to do interactive and allow just about everything except perhaps for apmd and acpi (press N for those - can try Y too, may work for you). When you get to dm, press N(o) so you do not go into the graphical display manager. This will drop you to a command prompt. Login as root. Then type gdm, and if this gets you into the Graphical Menu's then go in and login (if setup to not autologin, and let everything generate). Then quit and reboot. Should hopefully work for you then.

If the above fails, then when installing (or you can just do an upgrade - recommend re-install as it "should" not affect the dual boot) if your monitor is detected as flat panel, set it to a regular screen (and as it is a notebook be careful here) and set it to 1024x768 @ 60hz  (your desktop display can be set to display at a higher setting later in the config screen). Then redo the above steps, if when you changed the monitor setting and did the first boot, it hung.

I always set the monitor as 1024x768 @ 60Hz. Anyhow, I will try this too. Thanks, User!

This is our area of concern.  User has a good suggestion with the interactive startup, but I'd like to suggest a different route (you choose ;) ):

1) Press Ctrl+Alt+F7 - if it's just a black screen with a blinking _ then go to step 2, if not, then it should be a login prompt, and if it is, then login ;)

2) We need to delete /tmp/.x0-lock, and we need to be root to do it. so do the following:

su

you'll be asked for your root password, enter it - this step isn't necessary if you logged in as root.

Then:

rm -rf /tmp/.x0-lock

and try to startx again, report any errors.

I think I tried deleting .x0-lock before but there were errors:( Gyaaah! I must keep a notebook with all the errors. Is it really this tough installing it on a laptop? I feel like a moron for not taking note of the errors right away :wall:

Off Topic:

Bah!  tired, pfft, we all know the truth...Ix is evil!  an evil admin!  :jester:

Uh oh. I think Ixthusdan is mad now... :o

I done the 'fc-cache -v' command (going through Ctl+Alt+F4) which succeded and start X which gave me a much shorter message this time:

Fatal server error:

if this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock and start again

Which I suppose is good news, but it did also give the below message which I don't think I got before. Remember this is a single-user setup the only server I want to connect to is my ISP and I haven't configured that yet.

Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
giving up
xinit: unable to connect to X server.
xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.

The log was the same as last time with the exception of one line at the bottom:

(WW) Mouse 1: cannot open input device
AUDIT: Thu Jan 13 12:55:10 2005: 3715 X: client 2 rejected from local host
Auth name: MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 ID: -1

I tried the MCC but couldn't find any mention to Xorg. I tried booting without the mouse attached (and with no USB devices), but it made no difference. Mandrake 10.0 never had a problem with my mouse.

Clair: you need the root password to use MCC remember to type 'su' and enter the root password before you try it (should still find the command though).

Clair: you need the root password to use MCC remember to type 'su' and enter the root password before you try it (should still find the command though).

I did log in as root... I have no idea why it doesn't seem to work :wall:

User: I tried the suggestion of going into interactive set up.

I did get the command line but "gmd" just gave me a "command not found" message even if I did log in as root :(

Tymark: I tried your suggestion too. I wasn't able to get into the command prompt with CTRL-ALT-F7 but I got there by CTRL-ALT-F4. What is the difference? Anyhow, I deleted the /tmp/.X0-lock file and retried to "startx" and these are the errors...

_XSERV TranSocketINETCreateListener:...SocketCreateListener() failed

_XSERV TransMakeAllCOTServerListeners:Server already running

Fatal server error:

Cannot establish any listening sockets - Make sure an X server isn't already running

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support at http://wiki.X.Org

Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information

Xlib: invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key giving up

xinit: unable to connect to xserver

xinit: No such process (errno 3): server error

And when I checked the Xorg.0.log this was the result:

Fatal server error:

Cannot establish any listening sockets - Make sure an X server isn't already running

Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information

which is very similar to the above-mentioned messages.

This is making me a bit dizzy:( Help please?

Thanks!

I did get the command line but "gmd" just gave me a "command not found" message even if I did log in as root :(

gdm (not gmd ;) ) may not be installed, I believe by default mandrake uses kdm

Tymark: I tried your suggestion too. I wasn't able to get into the command prompt with CTRL-ALT-F7 but I got there by CTRL-ALT-F4.  What is the difference?  Anyhow, I deleted the /tmp/.X0-lock file and retried to "startx" and these are the errors...

CTRL+ALT+F7 shouldn't give you a command prompt, actually, I should've clarified. Let me see if I can explain this, just so you know for future purposes:

In linux you have what are called virtual terminals. CTRL+ALT+FX (where X is 1-12) will give you a different one. F1-F6 are actual terminals, with a login prompt and all. F7-F12 are for use by a graphical server, or X server, which is the server that allows a graphical interface in Linux (and most *nix OS's). Specifically, Mandrake uses x.org (although it used to use XFree86).

Fatal server error:

Xlib: invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key giving up

xinit: unable to connect to xserver

xinit: No such process (errno 3): server error

hmm...that's very interesting. I want you to try two things for me.

1) we should see if X really -is- running, so do the following:

ps -fu root | grep X[code]
If that returns anything, than X is running - so double check to make sure CTRL+ALT+F7 doesn't show a graphical login.    Here's an example of what I see (yours may be different, as I don't run Mandrake):
[code]root      7183  7182  0 Jan10 ?        00:20:08 /usr/X11R6/bin/X :0 -audit 0 -auth /opt/gnome/var/gdm/:0.Xauth -nolisten tcp

If you see something similar to this, continue on to the next step, if you don't skip to #2

The second number is what is called the Process ID, or PID, and we can make use of it to kill the program (you must be root since root is running the process):

kill 7183

And then try startx again. Report any errors if the differ.

2) run the following command (as root or regular user, normally you'd only do it as your user, but for testing purposes right now it's not important):

startx -- :1

it's very important that you get the spacing right. There is a space between the x and the -- and after the -- before the : but no space between the : and the 1. Not that I don't think you could see that ;) I just know I've messed up the spacing on it many times myself. If the errors are the same (they shouldn't be, we hope) let us know, if not, let us know of any new errors.

Oh, and one last thing, if you can, post the contents of your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. It's a kinda large file.

Ix: do you think you could split this into two seperate threads? This is going to get cluttered ;)

Edited by tymark

[gdm (not gmd ;) ) may not be installed, I believe by default mandrake uses kdm

I made a typo:(

Hi, Tymark! This is an account of what happened when I followed your instructions.

CTRL+ALT+F7 shouldn't give you a command prompt, actually, I should've clarified.  Let me see if I can explain this, just so you know for future purposes:

In linux you have what are called virtual terminals.  CTRL+ALT+FX (where X is 1-12) will give you a different one.  F1-F6 are actual terminals, with a login prompt and all.  F7-F12 are for use by a graphical server, or X server, which is the server that allows a graphical interface in Linux (and most *nix OS's). Specifically, Mandrake uses x.org (although it used to use XFree86).

Ok. Anyhow, nothing happened when I pressed CTRL-ALT-F7. It was still the blue Mandrake 10.1 background and the arrow.

hmm...that's very interesting.  I want you to try two things for me.

1) we should see if X really -is- running, so do the following:

ps -fu root | grep X[code]
If that returns anything, than X is running - so double check to make sure CTRL+ALT+F7 doesn't show a graphical login.    Here's an example of what I see (yours may be different, as I don't run Mandrake):
[code]root      7183  7182  0 Jan10 ?        00:20:08 /usr/X11R6/bin/X :0 -audit 0 -auth /opt/gnome/var/gdm/:0.Xauth -nolisten tcp

If you see something similar to this, continue on to the next step, if you don't skip to #2

The second number is what is called the Process ID, or PID, and we can make use of it to kill the program (you must be root since root is running the process):

kill 7183

And then try startx again.  Report any errors if the differ.

Because nothing happened when I tried CTRL-ALT-F7, I pressed CTRL-ALT-F1 to log in. I typed

ps -fu root | grep X[code] and it gave a different message.  It gave me this[/color]
root  3066  3045  0  04:39  ?  00:00:02 /etc/X11/X -deferglyphs 16 -auth /var/run/xauth/A:0 -iobwGR

root  3847  3115  0 04:39  ?  00:00:00 /bin/sh /etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0

root  3910  3865  0  04:49  tty1  00:00:00  grep X

[color=purple]and I proceeded to type "startx -- :1" which led me to the graphical user interface. Yay! :thumbs: [/color]

Oh, and one last thing, if you can, post the contents of your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.  It's a kinda large file.

[right][post=165177]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]

[color=purple]This is the xorgconf file contents. It is long :o [/color]

# File generated by XFdrake.

# **********************************************************************

# Refer to the XF86Config man page for details about the format of

# this file.

# **********************************************************************

Section "Files"

# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)

# By default, Mandrake 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of

# the X server to render fonts.

FontPath "unix/:-1"

EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"

#DontZap # disable <Crtl><Alt><BS> (server abort)

#DontZoom # disable <Crtl><Alt><KP_+>/<KP_-> (resolution switching)

AllowMouseOpenFail # allows the server to start up even if the mouse doesn't work

EndSection

Section "Module"

Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension

Load "v4l" # Video for Linux

Load "extmod"

Load "type1"

Load "freetype"

Load "glx" # 3D layer

Load "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.a"

EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "Keyboard1"

Driver "keyboard"

Option "XkbModel" "pc105"

Option "XkbLayout" "en_US"

Option "XkbOptions" ""

EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "Mouse1"

Driver "mouse"

Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"

Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"

Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"

EndSection

Section "Monitor"

Identifier "monitor1"

VendorName "Generic"

ModelName "Flat Panel 1024x768"

HorizSync 31.5-48.5

VertRefresh 40-70

# Sony Vaio C1(X,XS,VE,VN)?

# 1024x480 @ 85.6 Hz, 48 kHz hsync

ModeLine "1024x480"    65.00 1024 1032 1176 1344  480  488  494  563 -hsync -vsync

# Dell D800 and few Inspiron (16/10) 1280x800

ModeLine "1280x800"  147.89  1280 1376 1512 1744  800 801 804 848

# Dell D800 and few Inspiron (16/10) 1680x1050

ModeLine "1680x1050"  214.51  1680 1800 1984 2288  1050 1051 1054 1103

# Dell D800 and few Inspiron (16/10) 1920x1200

ModeLine "1920x1200" 230 1920 1936 2096 2528 1200 1201 1204 1250 +HSync +VSync

# TV fullscreen mode or DVD fullscreen output.

# 768x576 @ 79 Hz, 50 kHz hsync

ModeLine "768x576"    50.00  768  832  846 1000  576  590  595  630

# 768x576 @ 100 Hz, 61.6 kHz hsync

ModeLine "768x576"    63.07  768  800  960 1024  576  578  590  616

EndSection

Section "Device"

Identifier "device1"

VendorName "Trident Microsystems"

BoardName "Trident CyberBlade (generic)"

Driver "trident"

Option "DPMS"

EndSection

Section "Screen"

Identifier "screen1"

Device "device1"

Monitor "monitor1"

DefaultColorDepth 24

Subsection "Display"

Depth 8

Virtual 1024 768

EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"

Depth 15

Virtual 1024 768

EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"

Depth 16

Virtual 1024 768

EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"

Depth 24

Virtual 1024 768

EndSubsection

EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"

Identifier "layout1"

InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"

InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"

Screen "screen1"

EndSection

So does this mean that I always have to do that everytime time I boot up my laptop?

Ok. Anyhow, nothing happened when I pressed CTRL-ALT-F7. It was still the blue Mandrake 10.1 background and the arrow.

wow, hit the breaks! when did you mention this? i seemed to have missed it! So we do have a graphical server running on F7...this is interesting. But there's no login prompt you say?

hmm...I'm gonna have to think on this a little, we need to find out why the login prompt isn't working (I just woke up - can't think much yet, and gotta go to class ;) ). I'll tell you what though, for now do startx -- :1 and go into mcc and make sure "gdm" is installed, then find the "display manager" option in mcc (I don't know where it is in 10.1, but it used to be under hardware - I'm sure they moved it) and change it to gdm. reboot, and see if you get a login screen this time.

Edited by tymark

wow, hit the breaks!  when did you mention this?  i seemed to have missed it!  So we do have a graphical server running on F7...this is interesting.  But there's no login prompt you say?

I didn't? Eeek. I thought I did... :unsure:

hmm...I'm gonna have to think on this a little, we need to find out why the login prompt isn't working (I just woke up - can't think much yet, and gotta go to class ;) ).  I'll tell you what though, for now do startx -- :1 and go into mcc and make sure "gdm" is installed, then find the "display manager" option in mcc (I don't know where it is in 10.1, but it used to be under hardware - I'm sure they moved it) and change it to gdm. reboot, and see if you get a login screen this time.

I will do that later. Thanks for having time to help out a newbie :lol: I will see if "gdm" is installed. I will post all about it. Sorry for being kinda vague... I guess I was dizzy when I was typing my troubles here :wall: I will try to have a clear mind the next time I post. :blush: