linux magazine suggestion?

papaschtroumpf

I'm looking for a good suggestions of a "general" magazine (and not willing to spend mucho $$$ so magazines produced outside of the US may be too expensive, although I can read both English and French so either of those languages would be fine).

Now it needs to be a paper magazine, some thing I can take with me on the bus, read over lunch or in the bathroom. I'll take online magazine and newsletters suggestions too, but I'm looking for the old fashionned ink and paper thing.

My local bookstores don't carry much in the way of linux mags, and most of the ones I find are more "case study" ("how lab xyz uses linux to track cloud patterns") or developper oriented ("port your application to Qt2").

I'm looking for a more "general" type of magazine, more targetted at someone using linux as a "desktop" (whatever that really means). Maybe a couple reviews, discovering new open source apps, tips and tricks, "how to use your linux box as a domain controller", linux games, "get the most out your NVIDIA drivers", some programming, etc...

Hopefully that gives you a sense of the "flavor" of what I'm looking for.

I probably don't care about any included CD/DVD, it just frives the cost up and I can probably download the same thing over my broadband connection.

I subscribe to Linux Journal ( linuxjournal.com ). Some of it is quite technical, and each issue is themed (aka Security). Most is way over my head, but, it is still an interesting read. It is a US based magazine. I started with a 1 year subscription, and ended up renewing for 2, 2 times so far. On the second renewal right now.

Guest Lakota

I just let my Linux Journal subscription lapse, due to the articles are now mostly all way over my head and not very home user oriented. I have replaced it with a new subscription to a new magazine, first issue out Feb 2005. I think it is just what you are looking for. Check out this link:

http://www.tuxmagazine.com/

and yes I opted for the cheaper subscription without the cd's.

Cheers

Edited by Lakota

linuxjournal is one of the ones that is available locally and while interesting is a little too involved to read on bus and often more than what I'm looking for, although I have thought about trying it for a year.

That other mag might be a little too noobyish but is along the lines of what I'm looking for, so I might go for it. Everything on the CD is downloadable so I won't get the CD either.

The Editeur En Chef for that new TUX magazine is Marcel Gagne, who writes the "cooking with linux" column for the linux journal. Since I thought this was often the most interesting article in the whole magazine, I think I'm sold on getting it.

Keep those suggestions coming though, I never said I was lokingfor only 1 magazine :P

How about Linux Magazine?  :unsure:

This is the US version - there is a British magazine with the same name.

Cool, I didn't know that back issues were available online. Looks like the online edition is 2 issues behind the paper edition. Fair enough.

I'll go trhough some of those back issues to decide if this mag's for me.

as you said you can read french language, you should take a look at Linux Mag. If you like programming, it goes quite far and the examples are really good and well explained (serie of articles about making your own OS or programming a chess game in C and gtk+ for example).

www.linuxmag-france.org

http://www.linuxmag-france.org/presentatio...m.php?famille=1 for Linux Mag.

Edited by Cilar