Talk me out of it

phunni

I am starting to view those distro's like MDK and Suse like those SUV's that look like they can perform off-road but can't.  they are all dressed up with fancy GUI tools that don't actually achive anything in the rough tough real world.

Your not a happy bunny atm are you? :P

Have a :beer:

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally agree that arch linux does have some what of a crappy community. When I spend time in their IRC channel and someone comes in to ask for help the first thing they say is RTFM [period] . And when someone says that they are somewhat of a Linux newbie they always, and i mean always say that arch isn't for new people. Which makes them look like ass***** because I'm still a Linux newbie and I installed arch and have it running almost perfect.

I've heard of people stop using Arch just because of their community. Which I would too, but I don't give into things very easy.

Altho windows does work. I mean when I used windows nothing was wrong, exept viruses and spam. Which was just about the only things that did not work for Windows. EVerything else worked fine, which is what is expected of the OS.

If you want use windows.... I would if I needed it that bad. But I don't so I'm not going to install it, altho you should probably dual-boot, so that you have a taste of both.....

Suse have hurt linux far more than SCO could ever do by their bullshit attitude to config files and now evenb started using XML in config files - why not just use the windows registry?)

Just out of interest, why is using XML configs bad?

Same reason using the windows registry is bad or poor application config files....

It is a barrier against hand tuning or writing your own script to process them etc.

Like I said linux==linux unless distro's aim to make thier linux incompatible..

Choose a server app. lets say SAMBA.... now like every other .conf smb.conf is a plain text file. It can be processed with regex and the smb.conf from my machine should work on your's or even my Solaris box at work so long as the directories exist.

Now lets change that and add our own tags and stuff and suddenly it works only in distro X. No single distro is 'the best' most have strengths and weaknesses, some make great desktops, others great servers and others good for noobies and other for hardcore geeks.

The wonderful thing about linux is they all work the same .. except now they don't. In the past what I learned in RH went to MDK etc. and gradually MDK replaced that with tools that only half work....

Suse I didn't try till later but any distro that has warnings on config files not to edit by hand is no longer linux. I paid for 9.1 professional and it spent a week or so on my machine before YAST pissed me off to the point of the machine being in serious danger of going through the window....

Simple test....

install nfs

then make a /etc/exports

then exportfs -ra

if this works its linux if not its a bastard child that needs terminating.

end of story, no discussion.... nfs is a unalienable part of *nix and if it doesn't work like it should its not *nix anymore

Now so long as this works i don't care what graphic tools are included or not its irrelevant since I will never use them.

On a serious note look at NT4, 2K and Pro .. how do they differ from UNIX?

mainly in the fact everything is hidden behind graphic tools which take away your control.

Ehm, I have had no problems with nfs on Mdk 9.0, 9.1, 9.2, 10.0, 10.1, CE and OE versions where applicable.

But I must admit, I used my old files to avoid silly retyping, and hardly ever used any gui for this. No need to either.

Exactly the point...

I made the mistake of using the GUI through curiosity on the share my home dir.

It worked .. great, SAMBA and NFS :D

then I thought hmm I wanna share my /mnt/hugemediadisk

I kept trying and trying with connection refused etc. etc. and eventally gave up literally before the machine went out the window... then a week later soemone with more patience or less urgency solved it here. Mandrake had activated a whole load of security settings as part of me sharuing my home dir.

This is the part that annoys the hell outa me... they just did it, no prompting no warning and suddenly linux was no longer linux for me.

This is exactly how Suse made me feel. BSD feels more like linux than Suse....

and it pains me that mandrake is following the same path as suse.

like you say nfs exports should hardly need a GUI... its a pretty simple config file.... but I don't mind if it does have one so long as it doesn't do things its not telling me about.

I know an OS does that and its not nice!!!!

Posting this from within Ubuntu - first impressions are not bad, althoguh I don't like a lot of the defaults. I know the distro is supposed to be a gnome distro but how easy is it to install something like fluxbox or xfce4?

Despite recent rumours to the contrary, I don't really like gnome all that much... :cheeky:

Posting this from within Ubuntu - first impressions are not bad, althoguh I don't like a lot of the defaults.  I know the distro is supposed to be a gnome distro but how easy is it to install something like fluxbox or xfce4?

Despite recent rumours to the contrary, I don't really like gnome all that much...  :cheeky:

Welcome back to the fold :banana:

That didn't take too long, did it :cheesy:

To my knowledge you can install any other DE/WM on Ubuntu simply through apt (synaptic GUI) - if not, you might have to enable the universal repositories.

Posting this from within Ubuntu - first impressions are not bad, althoguh I don't like a lot of the defaults.  I know the distro is supposed to be a gnome distro but how easy is it to install something like fluxbox or xfce4?

Despite recent rumours to the contrary, I don't really like gnome all that much...  :cheeky:

flux should be in there universe repo and if you want xfce-4.2, just grab the install from xfce.org, can get any easier. I'm in it now typeing from my laptop on fc3 and i used there installer.

http://www.os-cillation.com/article.php?sid=42

deb http://www.os-works.com/debian testing main
deb-src http://www.os-works.com/debian testing main

Or add those and apt-get them :D

Just my apt-tips ... which I presume are the same in Ubuntu

/etc/apt/sources.list

is the place to add new repo's

www.apt-get.org ias a hgood place to find certain things like libdvdcss :D

apt-get update (like urpmi.updatemedia)

apt-get install synaptic

for a graphical front end....

how long did it last to get back to linux? *counting days*... roughly two weeks... :D

Let's not get over excited :D It's just an experimental install to see if I can get everything working how I like it. Windows is still my primary desktop OS.

I'm going to put together a spreadsheet of things I need to get working before I can go back to Linux only...

I might even post it online so that you guys can give me some help! :cheeky:

The question is though why try and change Gnome just cos you don't like it.

Ubuntu is built on Gnome ... so it will be hassle changing stuff over?

I understand you want a simple working system ... fair requirement but you wouldn't then judge windows by how hard it is to replace Explorer with a different desktop ... and then find certain things don't integrate as well.

I am happy with KDE, even if its 'over functional' in many ways which is one reason Im happy with a kanotix install. After the install CD I have minimum hacking etc. so long as Im happy with the KDE based apps. Mostly its DVD/MP3 stuff I add. If you wanna try Ubuntu then try Ubuntu... (IMHO) which means using the choices Ubuntu made as a base.

Why not concentrate on the apps you want rather than a WM?

that's just my 2c... its no wonder stuff isn't working because you are a meddler (like me)... which is why I keep my one 'sacred' install with OpenOffice and stuff all working because if I need to write a letter I need to write a letter!

"If your going to Dublin I wouldn't be starting from here" springs to mind! :D

• 1 month later...

I'm getting frustrated again - I'm gettin a stupid error with Eterm not starting it just says:

Hit a key to exit...

I think I'm running out of pty's or something. I'm a little bit more out of my depth bacuse I decided to use udev - which I want to stick with because it seems like the way forward (even though it isn't very old school ;) )

Sometimes it just seems too hard...

Edited by phunni