Talk me out of it

phunni

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have some friends who are perfectly comfortable doing professional sound in Linux.

Hydrogen is just for drums. For mixing, etc. I use Audacity. It's a multi-channel mixer  similar in approach to Cooledit Pro or, to some extent, CuBase. Like any sound editor/mixer/sequencer, it takes some getting used to. But it has graph shaping and you can add many features to it with plugins.

The sound card issue is a problem, if you think you need a multi-channel expensive hardware setup. In reality, there has been little development in soundcard recording, etc. over the last few years.

Hmm its not me your trying to convince.... its these damned pernicity musicians ...

I remember he wouldn't have an athlon becuase he'd read they produced more interference than pentiums... I doubt I could notice the difference but ... well they say they can...

I recently attended the Red Bull Music Academy in Rome. One of the lecturers we had  was Tod Osbourne (Ghostly International, Sound Murderer) from Detroit. He is a legendary producer and we spent a long time discussing hardware. Tom uses a modular synth box that he built himself. He runs an old DOS drum machine and an old version of Cooledit.

His soundcard of choice? A Sound Blaster AWE64. Why? It's dirt cheap and nothing invented since will give you noticibly better sound. Now, obviously this can be argued until the world ends. But I doubt you'd hear the difference between a song I recorded and mastered on a SB Live or on a brand new (and expensive) Terratec card. Lets not argue that here.

Lets see if I can persuade my friends....at least to try it!

My point is best expressed by a friend of mine who is a big hip hop producer in South Africa. He has always maintained that rich kids who think they're hot will spend on unecessary heaps of hardware and intriquite software that they don't even understand. The cats really moving the industry are sitting behind old computers using old software they're comfortable with. The new down-toned and raw approach to music production doesn't need you to be running Ableton Live and CuBase SX on a $2000 setup anyway.

I could carry on all day... I guess at the end of it you use what you're comfortable with and that's Audacity for me. I don't need the bells and whistles that I'll never use.  ;)

Phunni: glad to see you haven't buggered off completely ;)

me too

I'm still dual-booting and it is a massive drain, especially when the only two programms I use are photoshop and illustrator. The pain of dual-booting is the main reason I'm seriously considering a mac for my next computer purchase!

He has always maintained that rich kids who think they're hot will spend on unecessary heaps of hardware and intriquite software that they don't even understand. The cats really moving the industry are sitting behind old computers using old software they're comfortable with.

Indeed, Fatboy Slim still uses an Atari.

I heard photoshop would run under wine?

Right now im trying to get my digital processing soft3ware running under linux via wine. Then perhaps I'll try photoshop...

I heard photoshop would run under wine? 

Right now im trying to get my digital processing soft3ware running under linux via wine.  Then perhaps I'll try photoshop...

It runs under Wine, but it'll probably run a little better under Crossover Office. At least with version 6.0, I know from experience. Vanilla wine still has some issues, which Crossover has (mostly) solved.

At that time, mandrake was locking several times a week.

was that your cooker-distro?

both actually

I had a cooker install and a stable install, til I realized cooker was 98% as stable and I was wasting time running both.

bvc,

My whole home theatre is linux... sound, DVD, DivX and all.  And its running on a P633 with 64MB RAM!  (XBOX) anbd media wise I can play more or less anything I could in windows and a whole load  more too (like Z1 DVD's)

My deb boxes and gentoo box have never locked up (except when i was hacking the module for my Zire72...  ) but that is now I have settled on stable 'linux compatible' hardware. 

Eye candy...good to see you putting your money where your mouth is :D

Kids: 

Ahh... I think linux is way better.. it allows kids to actually understand what's going on.  Im sure of you give it a couple of years they'll be running rings round you.

I never said linux wouldn't play the same things, just that the quality wasn't near the same.

Sure this can be argued but aside from personal taste most don't know what quality is. Now, I'm sure the same quality as win is possible, and I'm sure it is done w/o effort, if you have the right hardware. But jo-blow checking out linux with a pc he bought at a retail store doesn't know or care about specific hardware, now does he? 90% of the jo-blows out there only know that when they boot win sound is great and when they boot linux sound sucks (if it works at all). That is the point. One could research and buy the right hardware and spent days compiling kernels/patches and obtain the same quality and possibly do what they can do in win just by booting to it, but why would they?

Freezes? You know this is not only OS specific but distro specific. There's nightmares on all sides of OS's just like all distros. Hardware is hardware, OS's are OS's, distros are distros, and a pc is a pc...made and put together by man and bought and used by man.....who can tell what lies ahead in that journey?

Kids? linux doesn't tell a 4 year old what is going on. No one can say that there're a good number of apps/games for kids in linux. Mac can't even claim that. Win is the only OS that can.

Edited by bvc

I never said linux wouldn't play the same things, just that the quality wasn't near the same.

Sure this can be argued but aside from personal taste most don't know what quality is. Now, I'm sure the same quality as win is possible, and I'm sure it is done w/o effort, if you have the right hardware. But jo-blow checking out linux with a pc he bought at a retail store doesn't know or care about specific hardware, now does he? 90% of the jo-blows out there only know that when they boot win sound is great and when they boot linux sound sucks (if it works at all). That is the point. One could research and buy the right hardware and spent days compiling kernels/patches and obtain the same quality and possibly do what they can do in win just by booting to it, but why would they?

I think its just a driver issue...

The XBOX works cos its bog standard and the patches applied etc.

However AWE64's also work great....

I can't claim to be an expert in sound but my musician friends do!

but my sound system is pretty serious.... 9x9's copper speaker cable with gold ends etc. but they don't just boot into windows and it works... what happens is you get the shitty driver then you install the manufacturers driver disk!

When these do exist for linux the sound is the same... I honestly doubt the nforce3 sound is any different in linux to windows because nvidia write both... but when you compare a manufactuer written driver against a opensource best guess driver of course the manufactuerer one is usually better quality!

Freezes? You know this is not only OS specific but distro specific. There's nightmares on all sides of OS's just like all distros. Hardware is hardware, OS's are OS's, distros are distros, and a pc is a pc...made and put together by man and bought and used by man.....who can tell what lies ahead in that journey?

One of the reason I went off MDK was the on/off working/not working (look at nforce2 support from 9.2 to 10.1!!) I find deb far stabler in this respect...once something works ittends to be improved on... MDK tend to replace it so the nforce's that worked with 9.2 didn't in 10.0 and those that hadn't did!!!

However I maintain all of them will work on my 'compatible machine' with the basic mobo and Adaptec SCSI, AWE 64 and nvidia graphics,... but my cute shuttles are a different story...

Kids? linux doesn't tell a 4 year old what is going on. No one can say that there're a good number of apps/games for kids in linux. Mac can't even claim that. Win is the only OS that can.

Maybe not lots of games but I still maintin, give your kids a few years and they'll be runig rings round rene and yourself :D

My advice, is to use what works best. ATI doesn't even like to work with OpenGL in the Windows world, while nVidia works closely with companies that develop openGL apps.

I have an annoying issue in MDK 10.0 OE PP right now: when trying to save a pic from the web to my hdd, I keep getting this annoying popup with the pic host name and an 'ok' button, that I have to keep clicking on, until the pic is saved. As many as 20 times per pic (popup vanishes and reappears). I don't have this in Windows or SuSE 9.2 Pro. Maybe I should try Konq and see what happens (if yes, then problem is in mandy, rather than mozilla).

SuSE 9.2 Pro is sweeeeet.

I use 4 OSes so far. Mandy has been my internet mainstay, SuSE is looking to take that spot, Win2K Pro is my 'work' OS for my windows apps (CGI and that), and Win98SE is my games OS (MSDOS-Win98/ME games). I use whichechever one works best for the software in question, and all are stable for me.

Gowater, I also have an nForce2 mobo.

http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/

The people of 'sound on sound' see that different. :cheesy:

Quote from that site: "The closest native equivalent to Cubase® for Linux"

Now, that statement is both right and wrong - it is the closest available in Linux, but it is quite different. It's like saying "Dolphins are the closest thing to Human Beings... in the sea." :P

http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/

The people of 'sound on sound' see that different. :cheesy:

Quote from that site: "The closest native equivalent to Cubase® for Linux"

Now, that statement is both right and wrong - it is the closest available in Linux, but it is quite different. It's like saying "Dolphins are the closest thing to Human Beings... in the sea." :P

lol

Maybe not lots of games but I still maintin, give your kids a few years and they'll be runig rings round rene and yourself :D

another reason I will always have linux :D

my kids will not lack computer skills as I did and do

Edited by bvc

another reason I will always have linux :D

my kids will not lack computer skills as I did and do

hmm... my nephew (4 years) only plays one game in linux. it is the only computer-game he plays at all. kartoffelknülch (don't know how it is called in english. it is the ugly-potato-man-game).

Look what somebody with 20 minutes, no sense of music and Linux can do :D

(Just remove the .txt bit. It wouldn't upload without it)

bravado, devries. You surely get nominated for a MTV award or something :cheesy: