Talk me out of it

phunni

So - come on, convince me I'm being silly!

but you'll be back again, once you are bitten by GNU/Linux you are poissoned for ever

Well.....just what is THAT all about? I have tried to get away from Linux but I cannot. I am drawn to it. Some months ago I formattted the hard drive and installled Windows on this machine.....but here I am again on Linux!

Phil

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK - I admit it. I'm getting ready to download a distro to put on my spare hard drive. If I can get everything working how I like it - and set up so my wife can use it, then I'll consider putting it back as a main distro.

So question is - which distro should I choose? I might try mandy again since it might make life a little easier for my wife. I really fo hate RPMs though... Did I hear something about being able to use apt...?

Ok, I was reading this whole thread and got to the 3 page and got tired, started turning into chit-chat ;-) Which is fine by me, but if what i'm about to say was already said in pages 4 & 5, then please forgive me.

Phunni, if your still out there, I can only say two words.

use Linux.

:P

Serious, if you want maybe less configing blah blah blah, why not just try fedora/mdk/suse/ubuntu/mephis/<whaterver>, arch hasn't even hit 1.0 yet, so you get what you don't pay for!!!!

:lol2::lol2:

Thats how much i didn't read the last 2 pages, phunni is already back and asking what Linux!

Fedora Core 3 < -damn shweet distro and you "shouldn't" have to do much. I would imagine with all the repo's out there, it has more packages than arch. Bugs? <minnor> no show stoppers. I'm typing from a Dell Latitude 640 with a Mobile Radeon 7500 and it seems to work for me :D

FC3 has the bling bling when it comes to technology, obviously with your arch/gentoo back ground, if there isn't something you need, you know how to get it.

Just do it, yum kicks arse, rpm's are a snap. if I remember right, your a gnomer so you can't go wrong there. you always have me too ;-)

nope - I hate RPMs, one of the first things I felt when I switched to a non RPM distro was enourmous relief.

I have no problem with getting my hands dirty with configs - been doing it for a ges. All I want is something that works as it should (even after updates...) and something I can set up so my wife can easily use it.

Edit: I downloaded ubuntu last night - maybe I'll ahve a crack at that soon. Windows will remain my main dekstop OS for the forseeable future though...

Edited by phunni

nope - I hate RPMs, one of the first things I felt when I switched to a non RPM distro was enourmous relief.

I have no problem with getting my hands dirty with configs - been doing it for a ges.  All I want is something that works as it should (even after updates...) and something I can set up so my wife can easily use it.

Edit: I downloaded ubuntu last night - maybe I'll ahve a crack at that soon.  Windows will remain my main dekstop OS for the forseeable future  though...

Why not just use standard debian unstable?

I haven't actually tried Ubuntu (and everyone sounds very enthusiastic) but I know Debian works ...

What I like is the fact I can just apt-get a app and it works so lonmg as you can answer the debconf questions but you are also free to mess as much as possible.

What really turned me off Mandrake was the fact the MCC was becoming the only way to do things and the strange way it did them... combined with the complete mess when it didn't work.

Debian gives me a choice... I can mess about with the config's by hand or with standard tools like webMin or use specific tools and non breaks compatibility with others. Mandrake was getting to if you used Webmin then the MCC complained and visa versa ... now I always have a working system and I can realistically upgrade just as I need. There is no real version upgrade need like mandrake/fc etc. just an gradual evolution.

I have a pure debian netinstall box and one installed from kanotix.

The kanotix is cool because I can do whatever and have a fully functional working system in 20 mins with everything I need ... that being said I haven't borked it for a while... but I know if I do i just copy the files back over ?

The netinstall is sleeker ...meaner but took ages to get just right... because I wanted to choose exactly whereas on the kanotix i just went with the pre-installed choices... I guess this is the same with Ubuntu too. I just got used to KDE....

I really can't understand the revulsion to .RPM. Then again, I never bothered with the Free Download Distros or Standard retail box (aka personal). I always went with the Powerpack with Mandrake, and Professional with SuSE.

My box is stable with:

Win98SE

Windows 2000 Pro

Mandrake 10.0 OE Powerpack

Mandrake 10.0 CE Powerpack (used until I got the OE boxed)

SuSE 9.2 Professional

I haven't tried to install Debian Sarge Net Install. Yet.....

My mobo is an nForce2 by Gigabyte.

What really turned me off Mandrake was the fact the MCC was becoming the only way to do things and the strange way it did them...  combined with the complete mess when it didn't work. 

Debian gives me a choice... I can mess about with the config's by hand ........

Not sure what you mean by that? , you have always been able to set things up in MDK by hand and you still can.

I really can't understand the revulsion to .RPM. Then again, I never bothered with the Free Download Distros or Standard retail box (aka personal). I always went with the Powerpack with Mandrake, and Professional with SuSE.

I never hated them as much as I now do until I'd experienced something else...

What really turned me off Mandrake was the fact the MCC was becoming the only way to do things and the strange way it did them...  combined with the complete mess when it didn't work. 

Debian gives me a choice... I can mess about with the config's by hand ........

Not sure what you mean by that? , you have always been able to set things up in MDK by hand and you still can.

Yep unfortunatly you have to make a choice...

If you edit them all by hand then that works

if you use the MCC it works mostly

but when the MCC goes wrong it seems spectacular and the 'testing' seems non existant for certain items.

Since i haven't used the MCC since 9.1 (all later were done by hand only) this is based on 9.1. Lets just examie networking

1) Av Joe gets ADSL and ethernet router

2) Chooses ADSL as connection type in error ... obviously the type is LAN but you wouldn't think it would matter that much

3) This then fsck's the if0 they have no internet access and no help

4) So no worries, go back to the wizard and select LAN ?

nope, thats it you made your choice it will not let you choose LAN anymore?

solution: urpme all of the rpppoe stuff, delete the interface in /etc/ and start again except at this point the noobie has to work it all out ...

Also since 9.1 linuxconf was officially unsupported, that is it was declared incompatible with MCC and since then parts of WebMin are incompatible...

MCC is just a silly joke designed for noobs one can only presume that the idea is to next squeeze out webMin leaving users stuck like suse drones are with YAST. (The worst thing that EVER happened to linux - Suse have hurt linux far more than SCO could ever do by their bullshit attitude to config files and now evenb started using XML in config files - why not just use the windows registry?)

Has anyone managed to create a NFS share in 10.1? All I got working was the home directory because MDK had implemented some 'security' crap and adding lines to /etc/exports no longer works since one has also to fsck about with the new MDK security model. Sure its a security model, it is designed to lock people into MDK like YAST does with Suse.

Solution give it 1/2 day and no answers here and I wrote over MDK with a grown up distro. It happened to be Debian but it could have been FC3 if the DVD was handy.

Mandrake seem intent on succeeding at the expense of other linux distro's..they aim to lock into Mandrake not just have a share of linux users. Suse are no better.

Suse have YAST and MDK have MCC and both seem determined to use this as a tool to lock in users. Personally I'd be glad to see the back of both of them ... I find the practice of making the tools so they only work for a single distro very dishonest. It splits the noobie and guru's and leaves no middle ground. Then the guru's never see the crap going on in the GUI tools and the noobies have no natural progression to set-up by hand.

Like on another thread (a13x's Gentoo thread) someone said "linux is linux" and it should be.. but when is linux not linux... when the distro makes tools to work only for that distro.

FC is nice but I think it is the suse's and mdk's that prompted RH to split. Before that they basically slaved over making tools for others to copy, most niticeably mdk and suse ... and mdk and suse then spent time making their tools incompatible with RH who's ideas they just stole... for instance I presume sndconfig will still work in FC... along with all the other RH tools ...

thats not the way opensource is meant to work, its meant to be give and take not take and take.

I am starting to view those distro's like MDK and Suse like those SUV's that look like they can perform off-road but can't. they are all dressed up with fancy GUI tools that don't actually achive anything in the rough tough real world.

I have no problem with getting my hands dirty with configs - been doing it for a ges.  All I want is something that works as it should (even after updates...) and something I can set up so my wife can easily use it.

Edit: I downloaded ubuntu last night - maybe I'll ahve a crack at that soon.  Windows will remain my main dekstop OS for the forseeable future  though...

Fedora uses Pseudo .deb's and mix's some Pseudo .tgz in the there. You will feel right at home.