Talk me out of it

phunni

I could never get a set up like that working properly...  Hydrogen was always fabntastic, but with out decent audio editing and sequencing (which I could never manage) I only had drums! (albeit absoutely cracking drums ;) )

So is my guess right about the recording stuff?

SoulSe, more information please....

Is it just for the :drum:

sorry had to use the emoticon :devil:

but seriously, I have a lot of friends who record professionally... and many are doing their own mixing but none of them say they can use linux professionally.

Even the soundcard support for the top of the range terratec's etc. is missing or have things really moved on?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very sad....

But its a sad fact there doesn't seem to be any CuBase equivalent etc. in Linux. for instance.

Dual booting sucks, or more accurately sucks up time.

Why do you think dual booting sucks ?

It helped me and a lot of other people switch more and more to Linux. I think that dual-booting makes it possible for you to get the best out of the 2 worlds: winblows for games and Linux for everything else :D

Of course it has a negative side cuz it takes time but I don't see that as a major counter-argument.

Edited by a13x

Why do you think dual booting sucks ?

It helped me and a lot of other people switch more and more to Linux. I think that dual-booting makes it possible for you to get the best out of the 2 worlds: winblows for games and Linux for everything else  :D

Of course it has a negative side cuz it takes time but I don't see that as a major counter-argument.

Because I don't think it does help people switch...

I think it holds you back...

For a long time I dual booted due to a few programs... and i never actually got a few details working like DVD playback...

The day I ditched windows was the best day of my life... (well in computer terms :D)

It forced me to get stuff working in linux I had kept falling back on windows for.

Now I haven't used WinSh$t at home in years! Everything works, if only because I only buy linux compatible hardware... (except my camera)....

Even now I am going to have to buy some software to edit the raw images off my D70 unless I can get the provided Nikon SW to run under wine.... otherwise I have to save as JPEG and loose a lot of quality. Luckily I found Bibble which has a linux version but the Pro version is $120 ....

Still Id rather pay this than have to dual boot! For the second reason....

Even though I have spent a fortune on M$ software and OS's I still don't own an XP install disk, just 2x recovery CD's... and my Win2K install is a pain in the butt...

DOS6.2->NT4.0->Win2k

when I had windows I found I had to run lots of illegal software just to get what I already paid for! For instance a cracked Win2K since my purchased version needs NT4 and my NT4 needs DOS!!!

Since going 100% Linux my PC has been 100% legal!!!

(Since I don't live in the US this includes DVD playback too)

(I had times with eval versions but no cracked SW)

The day I ditched windows was the best day of my life... (well in computer terms :D)

It forced me to get stuff working in linux I had kept falling back on windows for.

Now I haven't used WinSh$t at home in years!  Everything works, if only because I only buy linux compatible hardware...  (except my camera)....

And, if I was the only one using my PC (and not my wife as well) I would still be a windows user. But the time it (sometimes) took for me to get things working was more of an inconvinience for her than just me. When I finally had the problem with X locking it was too big a thing and too important a thing for her to be without a PC for the time it would take me to fix it. Therefore I don;t use Linux on my home PC anymore - but I'll never use anything else on my server...

Now I haven't used WinSh$t at home in years!  Everything works, if only because I only buy linux compatible hardware...  (except my camera)....

And, if I was the only one using my PC (and not my wife as well) I would still be a windows user. But the time it (sometimes) took for me to get things working was more of an inconvinience for her than just me. When I finally had the problem with X locking it was too big a thing and too important a thing for her to be without a PC for the time it would take me to fix it. Therefore I don;t use Linux on my home PC anymore - but I'll never use anything else on my server...

That X lockup has to have a solution though. Find a solution an off you go. Is it really so difficult to trouble-shoot this? Seems to me that, for the rest, you like it fine.

I've had a time like you (random lock-ups) too. But in the end I found a solution (even though not optimal since I don't use 3D intensively it's fine).

Actually DarkElve thats what I do on my laptop...

Now we have liveCD' its much more realistic to take a CD and demand to try it before buying... so I doubt Id do this again and I choose the right hardware...

Id rather change videocard than have to reinstall windows... but I suspect in phunni's case I would prefer Windows to dual boot ...

I honestly think dual boot is OK if you have bags of time/energy but if you want stuff just working sometimes then.... sticking to one or the other is easier.

Other than games and Music mixing I don't see any holes for linux anymore. Its only really the last 2 yrs.. but now linux really can compete on nearly everything (and is obviously significantly better in certain areas)

I have a feeling phunni will get bored.... WinBlows just doesn't interest me anymore. I can't drum up the interest I used to have in 3.1 ... or even 95/98 ....

The day I ditched windows was the best day of my life... (well in computer terms biggrin.gif)

Now I haven't used WinSh$t at home in years! Everything works, if only because I only buy linux compatible hardware... (except my camera)....

Well, that is your opinion and I understand you because you don't play games AFAIK. I'm not a hardcore gamer but there are some witch I want to enjoy.

I have a feeling phunni will get bored.... WinBlows just doesn't interest me anymore. I can't drum up the interest I used to have in 3.1 ... or even 95/98 ....

I totally agree with you on the Winblows thing. It's so boring !!!

I do play the occasional game though - so 3D has always been important to me...

Plus - figuring out the lockups eventually isn't acceptable because it also inconvienienced my wife. I'd far rather still be using Linux, but it just wasn't practical.

I'm sure I'll return to Linux eventaully - but I doubt it will be all that soon...

uuuh... i just had to use windows for the last two days on my girlfriends machine. boy, it felt so insecure... i had the feeling i had to take special care and talk positivly to the windows box in order to stop it from breaking down... but i was lucky... i only got some weird behavior with floppy disks, usb-sticks and cd-rws. no blue screen of death, although i came quite near to the windows-kiss-of-death.

now i am back in front of my mandrake-box and it feels sooooo good. :)

i definitely know, i will never go back to windows in the near future. also, because i don't need 3d acceleration (no gaming= no need for 3d stuff :P)

well I certainly understand phunni which is why my first reply was 'use what works'. In many threads, my thoughts on this are no secret. Ppl can say what they want but win does work. I ran win2k for 6mths w/o one BSOD, only one lockup, and only one auto reboot. At that time, mandrake was locking several times a week. Time spent in them was about 40% win 60% lin. Sound rocks and is a different world in win, 3d is 3 times what it is in lin, and dvd's are like being at the theatre compared to lin. Being a musician from the age of 8 there were times I'd boot to win just to hear a good jam in quality sound. I don't play anymore, but if I did I know I'd be just like phunni and in win.

XP was even more stable that win2k and far more enjoyable since I'm an eyecandy guy. Earlier I said I was win for 2 weeks or so w/o lin. I got back into Object Desktop and started a Windowblinds skin that was to be my first released windowblinds. It was my d3a gtk ported to win. I missed linux. I'm a control freak. Linux is a dog when it comes to eyecandy. So I decided to load up linux and tackle eyecandy for linux.

I used to have win for games and the wife and kids. Now? I have 1 game and the kids. The wife dramatically reduced here pc usage and what she used it for to the point that running win daily just wasn't necessary (viruses, app cost, and just using an MS product in general). She now uses linux (mandrake) 99% of the time. I'm burned out on my 1 game and quite frankly don't have the desire to play games enough anymore to justify the expense. That leaves the kids and 1% for the wife and 1% for me, that we need win.

I'll say this, 2 years ago, the percentage was much higher so that's a good thing. Linux needs to get hip with the desktop

media

kids

eyecandy

and not necessarily in that order ;)

At that time, mandrake was locking several times a week.

was that your cooker-distro?

sure. everyone should use what works and suits him best. the funny thing is simply that, although many people claim that microsoft-products can be rock-stable and made relatively secure, it never really worked for me after ms-dos 6. it never loved my hardware and my apps, both at home and at work. if phunny has more success with windows, the much better it is. :)

The day I ditched windows was the best day of my life... (well in computer terms biggrin.gif)

Well, that is your opinion and I understand you because you don't play games AFAIK. I'm not a hardcore gamer but there are some witch I want to enjoy.

Me too I might be an old fogey but I have an XBOX for Games ... Even that I got tired of dual booting since I use it mainly in linux...

I totally agree with you on the Winblows thing. It's so boring !!!

I can't say why except what my father said.... its just telling him what to do the whole time... well sopmetimes it doesn't tell him it just decides to up and do something by itself... like Arctic said... it feels insecure...

Its like being in a car and it suddenly decides to change lane...

ahhhhhh

well I certainly understand phunni which is why my first reply was 'use what works'. In many threads, my thoughts on this are no secret. Ppl can say what they want but win does work. I ran win2k for 6mths w/o one BSOD, only one lockup, and only one auto reboot. At that time, mandrake was locking several times a week. Time spent in them was about 40% win 60% lin. Sound rocks and is a different world in win, 3d is 3 times what it is in lin, and dvd's are like being at the theatre compared to lin. Being a musician from the age of 8 there were times I'd boot to win just to hear a good jam in quality sound. I don't play anymore, but if I did I know I'd be just like phunni and in win.

XP was even more stable that win2k and far more enjoyable since I'm an eyecandy guy. Earlier I said I was win for 2 weeks or so w/o lin. I got back into Object Desktop and started a Windowblinds skin that was to be my first released windowblinds. It was my d3a gtk ported to win. I missed linux. I'm a control freak. Linux is a dog when it comes to eyecandy. So I decided to load up linux and tackle eyecandy for linux.

I used to have win for games and the wife and kids. Now? I have 1 game and the kids. The wife dramatically reduced here pc usage and what she used it for to the point that running win daily just wasn't necessary (viruses, app cost, and just using an MS product in general). She now uses linux (mandrake) 99% of the time. I'm burned out on my 1 game and quite frankly don't have the desire to play games enough anymore to justify the expense. That leaves the kids and 1% for the wife and 1% for me, that we need win.

I'll say this, 2 years ago, the percentage was much higher so that's a good thing. Linux needs to get hip with the desktop

media

kids

eyecandy

and not necessarily in that order ;)

bvc,

My whole home theatre is linux... sound, DVD, DivX and all. And its running on a P633 with 64MB RAM! (XBOX) anbd media wise I can play more or less anything I could in windows and a whole load more too (like Z1 DVD's)

My deb boxes and gentoo box have never locked up (except when i was hacking the module for my Zire72... ) but that is now I have settled on stable 'linux compatible' hardware.

Eye candy...good to see you putting your money where your mouth is :D

Kids:

Ahh... I think linux is way better.. it allows kids to actually understand what's going on. Im sure of you give it a couple of years they'll be running rings round you.

I could never get a set up like that working properly...  Hydrogen was always fabntastic, but with out decent audio editing and sequencing (which I could never manage) I only had drums! (albeit absoutely cracking drums ;) )

So is my guess right about the recording stuff?

SoulSe, more information please....

Is it just for the :drum:

sorry had to use the emoticon :devil:

but seriously, I have a lot of friends who record professionally... and many are doing their own mixing but none of them say they can use linux professionally.

Even the soundcard support for the top of the range terratec's etc. is missing or have things really moved on?

I have some friends who are perfectly comfortable doing professional sound in Linux.

Hydrogen is just for drums. For mixing, etc. I use Audacity. It's a multi-channel mixer similar in approach to Cooledit Pro or, to some extent, CuBase. Like any sound editor/mixer/sequencer, it takes some getting used to. But it has graph shaping and you can add many features to it with plugins.

The sound card issue is a problem, if you think you need a multi-channel expensive hardware setup. In reality, there has been little development in soundcard recording, etc. over the last few years.

I recently attended the Red Bull Music Academy in Rome. One of the lecturers we had was Tod Osbourne (Ghostly International, Sound Murderer) from Detroit. He is a legendary producer and we spent a long time discussing hardware. Tom uses a modular synth box that he built himself. He runs an old DOS drum machine and an old version of Cooledit.

His soundcard of choice? A Sound Blaster AWE64. Why? It's dirt cheap and nothing invented since will give you noticibly better sound. Now, obviously this can be argued until the world ends. But I doubt you'd hear the difference between a song I recorded and mastered on a SB Live or on a brand new (and expensive) Terratec card. Lets not argue that here.

My point is best expressed by a friend of mine who is a big hip hop producer in South Africa. He has always maintained that rich kids who think they're hot will spend on unecessary heaps of hardware and intriquite software that they don't even understand. The cats really moving the industry are sitting behind old computers using old software they're comfortable with. The new down-toned and raw approach to music production doesn't need you to be running Ableton Live and CuBase SX on a $2000 setup anyway.

I could carry on all day... I guess at the end of it you use what you're comfortable with and that's Audacity for me. I don't need the bells and whistles that I'll never use. ;)

Phunni: glad to see you haven't buggered off completely ;)

I'm still dual-booting and it is a massive drain, especially when the only two programms I use are photoshop and illustrator. The pain of dual-booting is the main reason I'm seriously considering a mac for my next computer purchase!

He has always maintained that rich kids who think they're hot will spend on unecessary heaps of hardware and intriquite software that they don't even understand. The cats really moving the industry are sitting behind old computers using old software they're comfortable with.

Indeed, Fatboy Slim still uses an Atari.