Best Linux magazine?

Darkelve

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, Linuxmagazine! I thought you were talking about Linuxformat!

LinuxMagazine seems too technical for me though...

It is quite teccy, but it has some interesting stuff - some good reviews and has some nice distro's attached.

I've found it quite helpful previosuly esp the recent article on CUPS.

But an intersting article this month about commands for finding files etc (though not much use if your updates wipes everything off the face of the planet!) and an interesting review of the forthcoming Open Office. Bit extravagent paying that much dosh for a couple of articles and a DVD.

Still prefer LinuxFormat though (but I wish they would do something with their web site).

<snip>

Still prefer LinuxFormat though (but I wish they would do something with their web site).

Yes, I agree. Not only is it ugly and unintuitive, but it also lags behind the magazine, e.g. 1 or 2 days ago they still had 'current issue: 60' displayed on their site, while I had just bought issue 62!

61 has Fedora Core 3 and Ubuntu.

I've tried them both... still like SuSe best though.

The latest LXF (63) DVD version comes with Sun Java Desktop Live cd - which is installed with StarOffice7. It also comes with Knoppix 3.7 and something called Flash Linux - designed to boot from USB flash keys. It arrived in the post this w/e.

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately I just received a letter from TuxMagazine that they're cancelling and refunding my subscription because they will not be available in print as planned.

The bright side is that the magazine will be coming out as a PDF and the subscription is free. Still, I'd like a good paper magazine, I can tote with me on the bus on the airplane.

Yeah, I got my letter yesterday and was disappointed too. Looks like a good hobbyist level magazine is not available yet. There is a SUPER one in Indonesian language called InfoLinux, but it is not available in English and costs too much for an out of country subscription. LINK to InfoLinux Indonesia I think if it were in English it would sell well. It is focused on installing software, games, distro reviews, etc. that mean more to me than corporate server issues.