Best Linux magazine?

Darkelve

Hi,

to give myself a Christmas present, I just bought a copy of LinuxFormat (64-bit issue). The articles are really interesting overall, only a couple are above my head for being "too technical"... still it had some good stuff like a comparison between media players, information on which tasks will gain the best performance increase with 64-bit, review of SuSe 9.2, first steps with Firefox & Thunderbird, article about FINK, review of DoomIII, ...

Couldn't do much with the 2 coverCD's; 1 is a SuSe 9.2 LiveCD but it seems kind a slow, other contained a lot of software... as source and as RPM, Fedora Core 2 rpm's mind you, though they installed fine on my SuSe9.1 . Still it saved me from having to download OpenOffice.org 1.1.3

It's interesting, but kind of expensive (> €10 )

I learned of a few other magazines like LinuxJournal and "Tux-something" magazine (can't remember the name).

So what magazines do you read and which can you recommend?

[moved from Talk-Talk by spinynorman]

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I subscribe to Linux Magazine and Linux Journal, but neither is as good as one I got in Indonesia (sorry only in Indonesian language) called InfoLinux. Most of the Linux mags are more oriented to server and corporate market and don't help desktop user much.

Linux Format is the best I have seen but it is so EXPENSIVE unless you live in UK or EU that it is out of reach. They do a good job of their CD/DVD cover packs too. Wish the price was more reasonable for the rest of us.

CHIP is available in various languages (though often hard to find) and is a mix of Windows and GNU Linux but has some good hacker info and CD's.

Hope someone else has found a good resource. I think there is a good niche for someone to fill, but so far no one has stepped up to fill the void. As the desktop Linux market gets more user friendly, there will be a need for a novice/intermediate level teaching magazine. Hope it happens soon! :D

just got a subscription Linux format as it was 40% off so made it almost reasonable. Its a nice mag and does cover some of the stuff that you want to read about.

Apart from that i havent really seen any other linux mags, might have to go and visit a big WHSmiths store to see what i can find

Other than that im stuck with google and you lot for my source of help and knowledge :P

Well, I bought it in a paper/magazine "shop" in Belgium and was surprised to see the large amount of Linux magazines they had (4 or 5 I think), although they also had tons of Windoze magazines... I keep wondering how they can sell all of those, since we're not THAT big a town (about 35 000 people) ?

Only problem is, they're very expensive, probably 'cause they come from other countries in the EU (mostly UK, I guess).

Apart from that i havent really seen any other linux mags, might have to go and visit a big WHSmiths store to see what i can find

I've tried Linux Magazine (OK - has had some good articles/reviews/software, but can be a bit heavy) and Linux User and Developer (not my cup of tea - mega-heavy/dull-dry for a noob).

I subscribed to Linux Format using the discount offer - offers a food selection of reviews, loads of software especially if you get the DVD, and the Answers pages are generally pretty helpful. Much in the way of techy stuff. I agree with Kmack, there is a void for material aimed soley at the linux newbie. The web site isbn't that great though.

Personal Computer World is an interesting mag - offering a mix of Winblows/Linux features. Regularly provides a Linux distros on the DVD version (but other than that, the software tends to be predominately M$ orientated) however, it also provides a number of linux based workshops

A new one called Tux Magazine is coming out soon.  It seems to be geared more to newbies, which is good for me.  I don't think it goes into production until March 2005.  Take a look at Tux Magazine to find out more.

Yes, that's the "Tux" one I mentioned and couldn't find the website of it again. This website looks very good really. The LinuxFormat website looks really bad, IMO, although the magazine looks very good.

@ ChrisM: you live in Holland, close to me, right? So how much do you pay for a subscription, if I might ask?

Darkelve

So what magazines do you read and which can you recommend?

I've been subscribed for years to "Solo programadores Linux" ("Linux for coders only" -- now known as "Mundo Linux"); now I'm not anymore because of cash restrictions :juggle: .

It is a quite high leveled magazine but more focused to the user than "Linux Journal". IMHO "Solo Programadores Linux" the best of the many published arround here. The others are quite low leveled, seems that are focused just for newbies, yes, years being focused toward newbies ( who is a newbie for ever (a part of the one we all know :mr-green: ) ??? ).

But it is in spanish and for Spain, so this post is quite useless for you I guess :P

Edited by aru

@ ChrisM: you live in Holland, close to me, right? So how much do you pay for a subscription, if I might ask?

Noooooo - I live in the UK.

I got my first 3 issues for just £1.00 :D Unfortunately this offer ended in September last :angry:

I then pay something like £14.98 every 3 months - which is still chaper than buying it in the shops.

I just looked at the Linux Format web site Here and European subscribers can get it for 80Euros which is equivalent to approx £56.00 and still cheaper than buying it from a shop.

Noooooo - I live in the UK.

I got my first 3 issues for just £1.00 :D Unfortunately this offer ended in September last :angry:

I then pay something like £14.98 every 3 months - which is still chaper than buying it in the shops.

I just looked at the Linux Format web site Here and European subscribers can get it for 80Euros which is equivalent to approx £56.00 and still cheaper than buying it from a shop.

Sorry, must have confused you with someone else... maybe anna. But I think I'll buy a few more interesting issues off the shelf first before I subscribe.

Sorry, must have confused you with someone else... maybe anna. But I think I'll buy a few more interesting issues off the shelf first before I subscribe.

:D

IMHO as a user to linux for about 8 months now, I'm not that certain that as a noob, my investment to a mag' subscription has been really all that worthwhile. I get far more info from this BB and the web in general. However, to a more experienced linux user such as yourself, it may/may not be worthwhile.

Maybe TUX magazine will be the ansa for noobs tho.