Which printer for Mandrake 10.1 really works?

Helmut

Hi Folks,

I have absolutely no clue what printer (or all-in-one) I should buy.

While the big stores carry HP 3745C and 7260, Epson C46/C66 and others, I could not find one single model in the listings of linuxprinting.org

So what should I do? How should I rekon what might or not work? What newly-available models work for you?

Awefully grateful for any help, Helmut.

from my experience those worked just fine (some tried with mdk10 some mdk10.1, via network or connected direct):

hp845, hp3820

canon s200x

hp1000, hp1100, hp1010

brother 1030,1230,1240

i dont have any experience with the newest models, you can try the MandrakeMove at someone who has this model you would like to buy

there is a graphical tools to set up a printer in mandrake - kups (just fool it you want to set a printer), my guess is if you find your printer there you could say that it is possible that it will work with your mandrake just fine

before buying a all-in-one device check first if all of the devices included will work - i would try the mandrakemove thing first

its not such a big prob anymore...

you can install the printer as a fake and play with the options to get an idea how well supported it is...

I installed my fathers Epson C82 and it works perfectly...

My own Laser is a Samsung ML1210 and my Epson styluis works 100% too.

I just use the KDE panel to install them through CUPS...

I have an HP psc1210. It is a multi function device. It creates high enough quality images scanning AND printing for any reasonable home use, is fully supported by linux, works out of the box in mandrake 10.1, and with little or no tweaking in other versions of mandrake and other distros, and best of all, you can pick one up just about anywhere for $99.99.

I know it sounds too good to be true, btu it IS true. I have one, I've had it for a while, and I love it. I've sold several other people on them, in linux and in windows and everyone is happy. The ink is even reasonably priced. they're realy worth a look.

So you know, there are now several revisions of the psc1210 such as the psc1210xi. Don't worry, they all work the same. There is also a slightly different version called the psc1349 that is the EXACT same unit internaly, but has several media card readers on the front of it. I ahve not used it in linux and have had mixed reports of how well the readers work in linux. The printing and scanning are identicle to the 1210.

Thanks for the help, PROBLEM SOLVED!

I've now got a HP all-in-one psc1100 running with mandrake 10.1

Installing was so easy! Just put the mdk CD in, clicked on "Printers" in the MdkControl Centre and that was all!

The printer works fine the scanner too, all I did was ONE mouseklick! Awesome!

Thanks, Helmut.