Gentoo Install [SOLVED]

a13x

I want to experiment with another distro so I decided to install Gentoo.

Things seem clear till now but I have 2 questions:

Do I really need a boot partition ?

What architecture should I choose, i686 or athlon-xp ?

My CPU is Athlon XP 1800+ but if I type uname -m I get i686.

I wish a Happy, Peaceful and Prosperous New Year to everybody ! :D :beer:

Edited by a13x

Ok, everything is set. All I have to do now is build the system and the kernel and make the config files.

I have another question.

Do I have to specifically set all the USE flags from /usr/gentoo/portage/profiles/use.desc in make.conf ? What is the default action ? I mean, if I don't specify any flag regarding kde and qt what happens when a program is compiled ? Is kde & qt support enabled or disabled ?

What USE flags do, how to use them, etc: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/hand...l?part=2&chap=2

All available USE flags and what they will do: http://www.gentoo.org/dyn/use-index.xml

Read read read. Basically: it's better to set as many as you can.

For example, if you specify 'pda', then when you compile Evolution, it'll add in the conduits for Palm PDA's (I think, but you get the idea).

It's just another way that Gentoo is as stream-lined as possible.

OK, my Gentoo system is up and running but there are some issues .... :banana:

It's still bare bones. I need to install Gnome, OpenOffice and a lot of other stuff.

I'm a bit disappointed by the kernel. The stock MDK kernel (2.6.8.1-20) is 1.2MB but my 2.6.9 nitro-kernel is 2.5 mb !! Why is it so fat ? I didn't put a lot if things in it. Oh, and it won't bring eth0 up. It gives some weird errors when it tries to. I'll give it the noapic nolapic acpi=off options to see if it works like that.

I have to mention that the Gentoo handbook is very well made and easy to understand. All aspects were well documented although the installation took a lot of time. Installing Gentoo is still not something for the faint hearted....

Ok, as long as it boots as fast (or faster) then the stock MDK kernel it's allright.

The problem is that I get these errors when the kernel tries to bring eth0 up (even with the noapic etc options):

SIOCSIFADDR: NO SUCH DEVICE
eth0: unknown interface: No such device
SIOCSIFBRDADDR: NO SUCH DEVICE
eth0: unknown interface: No such device
SIOCSINETMASK: NO SUCH DEVICE
*ERROR: Problem starting needed service
*netmount was not started

What's the cause of this ?

It's done. :D I loaded a module and that fixed the problem. So I decided to build it into the kernel. I recompiled the kernel, reinstalled it etc. After reboot I got the same error. So I recompiled the kernel again and modularized the driver and now it works.

Why didn't it function when it was built in the kernel ?

Edited by a13x

Somethings want to be modules, and if you read the help pages in menuconfig, it tells you that usually. It's not common though.

Anyway, it's handy having your network card driver as a module, so that you can load it in emergencies, etc.

Ok ..

But now I have a problem. I want to install links but emerge gives this error:

>>> Unpacking source...
>>> Unpacking ttmkfdir-3.0.9.tar.bz2 to /var/tmp/portage/ttmkfdir-3.0.9-r2/work
[32;01m*[0m Applying ttmkfdir-3.0.9-cpp.patch ...
[A[73G  [34;01m[ [32;01mok[34;01m ][0m
[32;01m*[0m Applying ttmkfdir-3.0.9-zlib.patch ...
[32;01m*[0m Applying ttmkfdir-3.0.9-gcc34.patch ...
[32;01m*[0m Applying ttmkfdir-3.0.9-encoding.patch ...
[32;01m*[0m Applying ttmkfdir-3.0.9-freetype_new_includes.patch ...
>>> Source unpacked.
libtool --mode=compile i686-pc-linux-gnu-g++ -Wall -pedantic -I/usr/include/freetype2  -march=athlon-xp -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -o ttmkfdir.o -c ttmkfdir.cpp
libtool --mode=compile i686-pc-linux-gnu-g++ -Wall -pedantic -I/usr/include/freetype2  -march=athlon-xp -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -o directory.o -c directory.cpp
libtool: compile: unable to infer tagged configuration
libtool: compile: specify a tag with `--tag'
make: *** [ttmkfdir.o] Error 1
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
libtool: compile: specify a tag with `--tag'
make: *** [directory.o] Error 1

!!! ERROR: x11-misc/ttmkfdir-3.0.9-r2 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 44, Exitcode 2
!!! emake failed
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status message. (lol)

Build errors are best solved by using the quicksearch function on the gentoo forums: http://forums.gentoo.org (top right).

Sorry, I hate to direct you to another forum, but it's all Linux right? I have had many build errors, being on ~x86 and have solved all of them there. This looks simple though, just put the following line in the quick search:

It might be worth running gcc-update as well (just a guess):

# gcc-update -O

should do it, like I said - just a stab in the dark.

After 2 nights of downloading and compiling sources I finally have a Gnome desktop. :banana:

I downloaded all the sources I need, all I have to do now is compile OO, XMMS, MPlayer and other things.

I have to say that I'm really impressed. My system is much faster now. I think that the aggressive flags contributed a lot to this but also the 2.9.10-nitro2 kernel :D. My MDK installation was also very useful, providing important configuration files such as: fstab, smb.conf and xorg.conf. I'm going to keep both distros for now.