IBM Laptop X or mouse problem

Guest Crypkey

Guest Crypkey

My problem is when I start Mandrake 10.1 Official is very good but when it loads the X with the login.. my mouse doesn't work, any idea to solve this problem because I have to load my old kernel ( comunnity 10.1 ) to move my mouse... please If anyone can help, pls answer..

ty ;P greetz and happy new year.

Guest Crypkey
Does the external mouse not work or the touchpad? If it's the external mouse search the board. There has been a topic about this a few days ago.

both i dont know why... i connected the dam external mouse and X recognize my mouse and i cant move it.. =/ its very weird..

Guest Crypkey
which model do you have? For the ultranav, you may want to try the synaptics driver. An advantage for me was that I could get the middle button work. As for the external mouse, the X configuration may need some tweaking, but it's better to do this after you get the touchpad working properly.

The modem of my IBM ? well is 2645-5B5 its a very old laptop but it really works with Linux, but 10.1 official .. well u know the problem i cant move my mouse.. even if I use a external mouse.. =/ wut do u think?

Guest pasweb71

Hi,

May be same pb as me. During install my mouse was recognize, but with first reboot after install : frozen.

I open a session with keyboard. The pb was that my Logitech Wheel Mouse wasn't selected in system parameter (default PS/2 mouse). After this modification, and a reboot, that's ok.

Sometimes it helps to try to boot without any peripherals (printer, etc) hooked up. USB things can cause issues sometimes too. Might even try without a mouse since you should be able to use the touchpad on the laptop. I had some initial boot problems with my joystick plugged in to USB port. Once I booted I installed the joystick and rebooted and everything worked.

This is one of the replies in another post.

Hope this helps

Sometimes (not always) you can move the cursor w/o mouse by this trick:

CTRL-SHIFT-NUMLOCK then use keypad on keyboard as follows:

8 = UP

6 = RIGHT

4= LEFT

2 = DOWN

+ = Dbl Click

5 = Left Click

-0 = drag n drop

This is from memory, but should be close. Try some other keys to see what works. On laptop, you might need to use embedded functions and use FN key to activate the "keypad" not sure how it will work due to different mapping. If possible, might even want to try external keyboard?

Sometimes you can use this trick to navigate when mouse is not working. It will allow you to use GUI to modify the mouse setups from within MCC.

Good luck!

EDIT: Found a link to the old instructions. Better than my memory:

MOUSE MOVE INSTRUCTIONS

Edited by kmack