nvidia driver problem

polemicz

I just put a new geforce4-440 card on my system and installed the nvidia drivers. All appeared to be fine. I installed by booting into console mode, no X, and then entered startx and things were fine. Today when I booted up things weren't fine and I got this

(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module!

(EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***

(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Not sure what this means as I've never ventured into the mysteries of Nvidia drivers until now. By the way I loaded the latest driver onto 10.1 OE with the kernel source installed.

My guess is the nvidia module is not loading as this is a very common problem with mdk10.1. To test, boot to a command line login and run:

$ su

<enter root password>

# modproble nvidia

# exit

$ startx

The modprobe command manually loads the nvidia module. If you get to a gui, then you can be sure the module is not autoloading at boot. Post back if this applies and I'll go through how to correct the problem so the module autoloads.

There are several ways to do it but some have encountered problems with the usual ways which would be to edit /etc/modprobe.conf or /etc/modprobe.preload. Here's one that always works - edit /etc/rc.d/rc.modules by adding this line at the very end of the script:

modprobe nvidia

That's it. You have to be root to edit the file and if your in a gui, right click on the script and open it with kwrite to edit.