Cool Free FPS Game

hanez

Hey all, I just bought quake 2 and doom 3 and got them to work on MDK. Problem is quake is too old for me now and doom 3 is ok 1 player but sucks multiplayer (IMHO)

Then I saw in a Linux magazine a free open source game called Cube. Well I gave it a try and MAN is it good.

It has a single player mode and a multiplayer mode that is just WICKED, much faster then quake 2 and much better looking.

Anyways it is the easiest thing in the world to install (and even has its own gamespy like server finder) I was totally suprised to see such an awesome game done open source.

Anyways give it a try

You can download it at http://cube.sourceforge.net/

PS it works on windblows too!

post-8275-1103857895_thumb.jpg

I agree it's fun but I wouldn't call it good looking.

Unreal Tournament 2004 is good looking (but not free)

If you're into FPS you might want to check out Legends, sortof a Tribes lookalike, but not much a community.

Hey cube isnt that bad looking

Guns and characters need work but everythin else looks great :D

Besides, appearances shouldnt dictate whether its a good game or not, the gameplay should. I got everyone to play cube at a friends lan, it was awesome fun - even those who normally played UT liked it. It was good for a lan because of its small size 22mb, definitely not a 5 CD install !!

• 3 months later...

What makes Cube so small is the innovative engine. If you think about it, Cube saves megabytes by using "Cubes" instead of having a billion polygons making up the map.

Yes, Cube's multiplayer has sparked in recent months. I usually find myself going to an empty server and end up with many people playing instagib with me hahah.

One of the coolest modes, a new concept I think, is DMSP... My record is something like 30 frags in 45 seconds.

Edited by Lärs

I'm going to re-emerge this game again tonight and see what's been happening. The first time I used cube their was no multiplayer mode and they were still working on AI for enemies - this project really has come a long way!