kde startup su box [solved]

mattie

Hi,

since today, I get an "Run as root - KDE su" box after KDE is started. The command is "konqueror 'session' '117f000......' etc (It doesn't fit in the window). Has anyone encountered the same problem? I don't know what it's needed for.. I can only remember to have installed Gimp 2.0 and shorewall.. There is nothing special in my KDE Autostart folder..

Any tips?

mattie

screenshot:

kdestartupsu6at.png

You probably had an instance of konqueror running as root on one of your recent logouts. KDE by default tries to restore your session. You can stop this by going ahead and entering your root password there and starting konqueror, then close it once it fully opens and then log out and back in again.

in addition to Steve's suggestion, you can also go to KControl (IE: Configure Your Desktop)->components->session manager & check the "start with an empty session" box if you want to prevent things like that from happening again. checking that option doesn't mean that you'll lose all your desktop settings, it just prevents apps that you may have left running at reboot/shutdown from restarting next time you log into KDE.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

apologies for late reply, email notification did not work :/

thanks for the suggestions! it is resolved (it was indeed probably some root konqueror instance, I tried once to run konqueror as root, but never saw the window, hence I thought it was not possible)

mattie