Mandrake 10.1 still seeing 2 SATA drives in RAID

Sapphiron

Hi All

I set up my Sempron 2800 on a Abit KV-7 with a VIA KT600 chipset.

I want to use it as a server with my important stuff so i set up a hardware raid 1 (Using the Raid Bios before installation) with 2 WD 80GB SATA drives.

What concerns me is that mandrake 10.1 picks it up as 2 independent drives. In windows it picks it up as 1 drive.

I went ahead and installed Mandrake on the source drive on channel 0.

Do I need to set up Linux with Raid, or will the hardware Raid do it's thing.

I'm just concerned that having the second drive visible in Mandrake might cause trouble when Mandrakes writes something to the Mirror drive.

I was thinking of setting up raid using the raid tools or the mdadm packages, but they only seem to support software raid.

What advise can you guys give me?

Thanks in advance

Edited by Sapphiron

AFAIK, and I could be wrong, is that software raid is the best way to go in Linux. Most (if not all) hardware raid setups aren't supported. If your raid setup were seen properly in Linux, it should be called /dev/md<<some number>>

I could be wrong, as I said, but this is my understanding.

AFAIK, and I could be wrong, is that software raid is the best way to go in Linux. Most (if not all) hardware raid setups aren't supported. If your raid setup were seen properly in Linux, it should be called /dev/md<<some number>>

I could be wrong, as I said, but this is my understanding.

thanks for the reply.

I do have a device called md0. Does this mean that my raid is working properly. I know it can still detect 2 drives through a tool like harddrake.

• 2 weeks later...

here is the contents of my fstab file

/dev/sda1 / ext3 defaults 1 1
/dev/sda6 /home ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/hda /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0
none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-15,sync,codepage=850 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/sda5 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/sdb5 swap swap defaults 0 0

What do You guys make of it?

If the raid controller is unsupported by linux, can I unmount (in essance, prevent linux from using) the second drive and have the raid chip control the raid array.

How reliable is the linux software raid? Whats the catch/s(if any)