enabling FreeType native hinting [solved]

daniewicz

I stumbled upon this website link. It discusses the enabling of Freetype native hinting through an installation of the latest version of FreeType from the FreeType project page ( currently is version 2.1.9).

Does anyone have any experience with this installation? Is there anything I should be aware of? As you can probably tell, I am a Linux noob and I am trying to be cautious.

interesting....never heard of a need to upgrade freetype on ML, well except 3 years ago.

question, then how come, compared to other distros, mandrakes fonts are so good. Seriously. What? Mandrake just uses aa? The site says they're crap. What is his prob? This is not mac. Better than windows. I've built and ran LFS, the links procedure is basically the same. Was some other way to make fonts nice discovered w/o having to do this? I've assumed the link is what mandrake did just like other distros do.

I just put this in my home dir and rename it to .font.conf

http://bvc.kernow-webhosting.com/docs/fonts.conf.txt

then open a terminal and do

service xfs stop && service xfs start

Edited by bvc

interesting....never heard of a need to upgrade freetype on ML, well except 3 years ago.

question, then how come, compared to other distros, mandrakes fonts are so good. Seriously. What? Mandrake just uses aa? The site says they're crap. What is his prob? This is not mac. Better than windows. I've built and ran LFS, the links procedure is basically the same. Was some other way to make fonts nice discovered w/o having to do this? I've assumed the link is what mandrake did just like other distros do.

Actually windows has awesome fonts too, enable cleartype and they look kickass. its somewhere off the display control panel

bvc:

You are speaking to a linux noob, and I don't know what LFS is. What are you suggesting I do with your linked file?

The website I linked to talks of hacking and rebuilding freetype to get around some Apple imposed limitations on conventional freetype. Do you think this is just a bunch of nonsense?

Actually windows has awesome fonts too, enable cleartype and they look kickass. its somewhere off the display control panel

My fonts in linux are better than xp's w/ cleartype.

bvc:

You are speaking to a linux noob, and I don't know what LFS is. What are you suggesting I do with your linked file?

The website I linked to talks of hacking and rebuilding freetype to get around some Apple imposed limitations on conventional freetype. Do you think this is just a bunch of nonsense?

yeah, I think the user somehow thought they found an edge, but its already done.
You dont need to enable hinting, or reinstall anythin it's all fine.