Can't run Unreal Tournament 2004

chocobanana

Greetings

I just downloaded and installed successfully the UT 2004 demo, but when I execute game it won't start

It shows the splash screen, but then it disappears and nothing happens.

Does anybody knows anything about this?

(I checked if I have direct rendering according to the game's Faq and it said it's working. Also, I'm running Mandrake 10.1 OE)

Thanks

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Greetings

I just downloaded and installed successfully the UT 2004 demo, but when I execute game it won't start

It shows the splash screen, but then it disappears and nothing happens.

Does anybody knows anything about this?

(I checked if I have direct rendering according to the game's Faq and it said it's working. Also, I'm running Mandrake 10.1 OE)

Thanks

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

look for error logs in your ut2004/System directory. can't remember what the default log name is.

Do you successfully run other SDL based games?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Thanks for your replies

I tryed to run the game after closing every application that uses sound, I tryed running it with alsa enabled in kde and also with the sound system turned off for kde and still didn't get any chance.

Do you have other suggestions?

Thanks

Open a console, navigate to where ut2004demo is and run it form the command line:

$ ./ut2004demo

If the game doesn't load you will at least get some meaningful error messages.

Also post your graphics card and what driver your using. And open a console and run:

$ glxgears

that's a 3d test program and should output your fps.

Edited by pmpatrick

it might mean you don't have hardware acceleration support. you should fix your nvidia drivers and have "load "glx"" in your XF86config or xorg.conf file in the drivers section. if you want to run without hardware acceleration, try running like so:

[arthur@localhost] $./ut2004-demo --software

in the directory which contains ut2004. but it's going to be very, very slow in software mode, unless your computer is much faster than my not-so-ancient 2.0 GHz box.

Please post your graphics card. Also, open a console and run:

$ glxgears

If you have 3d hardware accelleration, a small window should open up with spinning gears when you run glxgears. In your console, you will get a printout of your frames/sec.(fps). Let glxgears run for a minute and post what fps you get. Glxgears is a common linux 3d benchmarking tool.

Hi

My graphics card is an ATI radeon 8500

I ran glxgears for 1:30s and I got an average of 1530 FPS

Somedays ago I ran the command "glxinfo | grep direct" to know if I have direct rendering and I got positive feedback, so I think 3d hardware acceleration is working.

What could be the problem?

Thanks

./ut2004-demo --software

As was said by arctic, try that. And also, you said it had a "missing symbols - aborting" error. PLEASE paste the whoole entire error here and maybe the lines before and after it. You have no idea how crucial it could be to helping you fix the problem

My best guess is it's a problem with the driver for your graphics card; it could be configuration or the driver may simply be unable to handle the game. The ati proprietary dirvers do not have a very good rep in linux circles but they are certainly better than the free ones. I'm not that familiar with ati so I can't be of much help. Most people that use linux a lot wind up getting an nvidia card at some point because nvidia's driver support is so much better. At any rate, if you haven't tried installing the ati proprietary drivers, you might want to try that, assuming one is available for your card. I can pretty much guaranty that you won't get ut2004 to play with the open source drivers that come with the download edition.

Hi

Once again thanks for the replies

I tryed to run it in software mode and yes, it worked. It even showed "the way it's meant to be played - nvidia" :wall:

Here's the complete output of the error if I try to run it normally :cheesy: :

Missing symbols - aborting.

History:

Exiting due to error

I'm going to try the proprietary drivers later and I'll tell you if it worked or not

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, an older but very interesting post. I have just installed UT2004 full DVD on my laptop.

I am running Mandrake 10.1

Pentium 4

Mobility Radeon 9600

1Gb Ram

I type

$ ./ut2004 and get this error:

open /dev/[sound/]dsp: Device or resource busy

Signal: SIGSEGV [segmentation fault]

Aborting.

I guess it is a sound error! How do I disable this error without losing sound?