Suggest a theme

Drake

Heya

ok well what i mean is that there is so many alternatives to what desktop i should use : kde/gnome/fluxbox etc and then theres the customisation.

My plan is to use a theme and then when i am more confident on what im doing , to either customise heavily or attemp at making my own from a base.

So, basically im after ideas of a theme i can download/install - it has to be a theme that is useful for a programmer (html/asp/php/mysql/c++ etc) - what i mean by that is it needs to look sharp/crisp. Im not bothered about a flashy background, just something good on the eye as programming takes alot of concentration. The transparency ability indeed add to the programming look. (please dont think complete cyborg,space as a theme :P )

can anyone suggest a theme and its location? chances are i will go for a fluxbox enviromnent as ive checked out what it can do and im most impressed! Not that the others arnt good, they are, just my preference.

thanks

[moved from Talk-Talk by spinynorman]

I hate to say it, but it's personal preference again!

I like GNOME, running Industrial GTK theme, and simple window borders. And on those off days when I use FLuxbox, I again stick with simple GTK themes and self made window borders.

There's hundreds of themes to choose from, so it's really up to you. Or you could create your own, it's drop dead simple for fluxbox :D

I would say Gnome, it's easy to setup GTK themes, it's clean and not confusion ( I find KDE confusing :P )

But as Iphitus said it's all about personal preferences. If I was you I'll take a look at the screenshot contests (October, November and December) to get a feeling. Also try the diffrent Desktops before settling down.

.:=The AI Dude=:.

I would say Gnome, it's easy to setup GTK themes, it's clean and not confusion ( I find KDE confusing  :P )

But as Iphitus said it's all about personal preferences. If I was you I'll take a look at the screenshot contests (October, November and December) to get a feeling. Also try the diffrent Desktops before settling down.

.:=The AI Dude=:.

I like KDE but otherwise agree....

you just gotta try em and see what you like, browse the themes in the comps and get envyous of you like and create your own....

If I were giving advice I would say don't worry yet.... play about and you might even want a new install in a month so no point wasting time on making it too pretty if you then start again....

thanks guys :)

well what i was thinking.......i really really like this theme

http://themes.freshmeat.net/projects/necro_blue1/

BUT my worry is that it would not be suitable for programming ie looking at rows and rows of code and thinking without getting a bad head.

SO what i thought was - get that installed, and then fiddle with the fonts/some colours to get it to my liking.

?

actually, as you need maximum concentration for programming, i would tend to say: use a desktop that has almost nothing on it.

my suggestion:

use fluxbox/blackbox or icewm. sharp,fast&crisp. set the colors to something minimalistic. blue or grey are known to be most relaxing and less distracting than anything else. Skip wallpapers and icons altogether if possible. use a windeco that has colors that have a saturation of 50-70%, no more.

just my two cents.

p.s: /me has different working environments, depending on what i do. for graphic design, all grey, minimal windeco, for writing stuff, blueish/grey surrounding, for amusement=nice wallpaper and some nice windeco. :)

ok i got fluxbox on using the how to guide, and installed a new theme.

i can use the command to place the background in, but i cant find the init file to edit so i can make the background permament. how do i get to it? ive looked everywhere that i can think? :(