How to Check Mandrake version?

Guest wolf

Adding to Gowator's post, in your Mandrake you'll have in etc several files that tells you what distribution you use and what version of it you run:

~$ ls  -l /etc/{*-release,issue}
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 103 dic 21 08:40 /etc/issue
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 124 may 12  2004 /etc/lsb-release
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root  21 dic 10 18:08 /etc/mandrake-release -> mandrakelinux-release
-rw-r--r--  1 root root  48 sep 13 15:21 /etc/mandrakelinux-release
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root  21 dic 10 18:08 /etc/redhat-release -> mandrakelinux-release
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root  21 dic 10 18:08 /etc/release -> mandrakelinux-release

~$ cat /etc/issue
Mandrakelinux release 10.1 (Community) for i586
Kernel 2.6.8.1-20mdk-smp on a Dual-processor i686 / \l

~$ cat /etc/lsb-release
LSB_VERSION=1.3
DISTRIB_ID=Mandrakelinux
DISTRIB_RELEASE=10.0
DISTRIB_CODENAME=Official
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Mandrakelinux"

~$ cat /etc/mandrakelinux-release
Mandrakelinux release 10.1 (Community) for i586

Those are all different attempts of doing the same. /etc/issue was the traditional standar, /etc/mandrakelinux-release is the mandrake's (adapted from redhat) way of recording what release is the system using, and finally /etc/lsb-release is what LSB is trying to make standard.

LSB compilant distros use /etc/lsb-release (or should)

Redhat like systems used and use /etc/<distro>-release as mandrake does

Finally traditionaly, was used /etc/issue (ie debian uses it). Is it going to be deprecated? who knows.

as you can see from the cat outputs the /etc/*release as an standard is not as important as one may think, my upgrade to 10.1 leaved /etc/lsb-release untouched meaning that upgrade scripters haven't thought of it (even urpmf /etc/lsb-release shows nothing in my new 10.1 urpmi db, it should appear as part of the mandrakelinux-release rpm package). As long as your distro scripts that have to identify your version do the right job no matter if the distro uses the standard or not.

Edited by aru

oops sorry i was working fropm memory... thx Aru.

The importsant thing to remember is its not like windows where you have Win98 or Win98SE.... etc. Or even XP SP2 ,....

You can add and take away, mix and match... for instance the devfs system.. its all these things together that make up your system..

for instance /etc/mandrakelinux-release is important for the mandrake installer to identifiy and/or upgrade a pre-existing install but if that install has already got parts added to it the upgrade can still fail....

certain things are kinda important like the glibc version and other really imoptant libraries... strangly the kernel version is less so,....