3com 3cr29233 usb cable modem

Guest afm878

I've seen various USB, modem and networking questions on here, but nothing that addresses my problem quite specifically and simply enough. If I missed something in the pinned posts, don't flame me too hard. I'm still a convert. Now onward...

:jester:

I've finally made the switch away from Microsoft, and now that I've got Mandrake 10.1 up and running, everything seems to be running smoothly...except my cable modem.

I can boot to my Windows partition and get online OK. Hence this post. So I know the hardware and connection is all good...

Mandrake found and configured all the rest of my hardware, including my USB keyboard. So I guess that my USB capabilities are working properly. However, when I go into the Hardware menu, my cable modem shows up under the "Unknown Devices." Oddly enough , in the very same window, Mandrake betrays its knowledge by telling me that the unknown device is a 3com Homeconnect Cable modem, plugged into the USB port, with the appropriate product numbers and all that...only the very last bit of info ("module", I believe) contains a value of "unknown."

When I try to configure a network connection, Mandrake insists on using eth0. I don't even think I have an ethernet card. I've tried just about every possible driver but nothing works. I click "New Connection" --> "Cable" ---> then end up in a list with mostly ethernet, PCI and wireless cards. The closest thing I found is a "Typoon (3com modem and variants)" but when I try to configure that sort of driver, it just drops me back off at the main choose-connection-type screen without installing or configuring anything.

The only other thing near success I had was clicking on something for "usb point-to-point" networks. I don't think this is what I want, but when I click it, Mandrake does actually configure a new connection eth1 which it recognizes on the USB port. Meanwhile, the connection icon in my tray then goes to tell me that the network is up on eth1. However, loading web pages or anything else online will not work. When I restart, the connection is disconnected unless I go through and recongifugre the abovementioned driver, which leaves me back where I started...ie, it says I'm connected but no luck loading pages.

I've searched for drivers on the 3com website, on Sourceforge, on the Mandrake site. I believe I have all the current necessary RPMs, as I just dowloaded and installed the Mandrake 10.1 distro last nite and also because my USB keyboard seems to be working. I can't afford to get another modem or do an ethernet set up at this time, but after spending three days and losing years worth of work on my HD trying to install Linux, the last thing I want to do is resort to using Windows again for my online needs. Please, any suggestions? I'm computer literate but Linux is new to me, so keep in mind I might need some pretty simple explanations. Thanks in advance.

..jason...

The fact that it can display the model name doesn't necessarily mean it really knows what the hardware is, it's just that there's a standard way for USB devices to identify themselves with a text string and Mandrake is reading this and parroting it back to you. You can't take that as an indication that the hardware is supported.

First question - is there any way to connect this device via a network card instead of USB? It's almost certain to make the connection much, much easier. This page:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/showprod...php?product=710

Indicates that the device has a network connection. The easiest solution to your problem is almost certainly simply to connect via an ethernet cable to your network card, and set the connection up as if it were a LAN connection.