computer won't turn off!!!

Guest chally

for about four months i have not have been able to turn off my pc in the usual way, what i have to do is to press and hold the on/off button for 5-6 seconds! as you could imagine this is really pis*^%ng me off! (sorry for the language but i am on the hunt for somebody to help me sort this problem out!.

I think there might be a link with the NTL Modem because 99% of the time when i remove the power from this unit my pc turns off as normal, but when i leave it plugged in and turn off in the normal manor it shuts down and then after approx 5-6 seconds the damn thing starts back up on its own!!

Please help

Ian

Edited by chally

if what aRTee suggested doesn't work, look into power management issues.

go to Mandrake Control Center->system->services & see if any of the following are running/set to start at boot..........

apm

apmd

acpi

if they are, try disabling them one at a time & see if you can power down as normal. if that doesn't help, look at your "append=........" line in /etc/lilo.conf for an acpi entry. if it says acpi=on or acpi=ht, change it to acpi=off. here's what mine looks like for an example..........

image=/mnt/mandraketest/boot/vmlinuz

label="mandraketest"

root=/dev/hda12

initrd=/mnt/mandraketest/boot/initrd.img

append="devfs=nomount splash=silent acpi=off resume=/dev/hda11"

vga=788

read-only

if you change that entry, make sure you run lilo to save the changes. to do so, in terminal as root do the following..........

lilo -v

hit enter.

Chris