CDROM problem

Hemtah

Hi, I am having a lot of prob with my mdk 10.1 ce

i can view the device, but i can't view any contents of any of my cdrom

this what i have on the dir dev:

adsp      hda      loop3        ram0    sequencer   tty11  tty29  tty46  tty63     vcs3
agpgart   hda1     loop4        ram1    sequencer2  tty12  tty3   tty47  tty7      vcs4
apm_bios  hda2     loop5        ram10   sg0         tty13  tty30  tty48  tty8      vcs5
audio     hda5     loop6        ram11   sg1         tty14  tty31  tty49  tty9      vcs6
cdrom     hda6     loop7        ram12   shm         tty15  tty32  tty5   ttyS0     vcs7
cdrom0    hdb      md           ram13   snd         tty16  tty33  tty50  ttyS1     vcsa
cdrom1    hdb1     md0          ram14   sound       tty17  tty34  tty51  ttyS2     vcsa0
cdroms    hdc      mem          ram15   sr0         tty18  tty35  tty52  ttyS3     vcsa1
console   hdd      misc         ram2    sr1         tty19  tty36  tty53  ttyS4     vcsa2
core      ide      mixer        ram3    st0         tty2   tty37  tty54  ttyS5     vcsa3
discs     initctl  mouse        ram4    st1         tty20  tty38  tty55  ttyS6     vcsa4
dsp       input    null         ram5    stderr      tty21  tty39  tty56  ttyS7     vcsa5
dvd       kmem     port         ram6    stdin       tty22  tty4   tty57  urandom   vcsa6
fb0       kmsg     ppp          ram7    stdout      tty23  tty40  tty58  usbmouse  vcsa7
fd        log      psaux        ram8    tts         tty24  tty41  tty59  vc        zero
fd0       loop     psmouse      ram9    tty         tty25  tty42  tty6   vcc
fd1       loop0    ptal-printd  random  tty0        tty26  tty43  tty60  vcs
floppy    loop1    ptmx         rd      tty1        tty27  tty44  tty61  vcs1
full      loop2    pts          rtc     tty10       tty28  tty45  tty62  vcs2

my fstab look like this:

/dev/hda5 / ext3 defaults 1 1
none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0
/dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom2 auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0
/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,user
none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850 0 0
/dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c ntfs umask=0,nls=iso8859-1,ro 0 0
/dev/hdb1 /mnt/win_c2 vfat umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hda6 swap swap defaults 0 0

cd linked to:

[root@localhost adam]# ls -al /dev/cdrom

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Dec 20 08:53 /dev/cdrom -> hdc

[root@localhost adam]# ls -al /dev/cdrom0

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Dec 20 08:53 /dev/cdrom0 -> hdc

[root@localhost adam]# ls -al /dev/cdrom1

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Dec 20 08:53 /dev/cdrom1 -> hdd

[root@localhost adam]# ls -al /dev/cdrom2

ls: /dev/cdrom2: No such file or directory

if you look at the fstab and compare to my dev dir i have 4 cdroms listed

in the dev dir i have

cdrom     hda6     loop7        ram12   shm         tty15  tty32  tty5   ttyS0     vcs7
cdrom0    hdb      md           ram13   snd         tty16  tty33  tty50  ttyS1     vcsa
cdrom1    hdb1     md0          ram14   sound       tty17  tty34  tty51  ttyS2     vcsa0
cdroms    hdc      mem          ram15   sr0         tty18  tty35  tty52  ttyS3     vcsa1

and the fstab

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0

/dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom2 auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0

?? is this normal?

I have changed to:

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom ISO960 umask=0,user,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0

/dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom2 ISO9660 umask=0,user,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0

The cdrom works now which is a cdrw

but the dvdrom "cdrom2" still having the same prob can't view any contents

do the files /mnt/cdrom2 and /mnt/cdrom exist? (OK so you have probably already checked this :D )

what happens when you put a cd into your dvd drive and type

mount cdrom2

also, although this may be a typo in your post, the

ISO9660
entry should be
iso9660

Leo

Edited by Leo

hi Leo,

yes, the iso entry is already in lower charactere

and when i am doing mount i have

[root@localhost mnt]# ls

cdrom/ cdrom2/ floppy/ win_c/ win_c2/

[root@localhost mnt]# mount cdrom

mount: /dev/hdc already mounted or /mnt/cdrom busy

mount: according to mtab, /dev/hdc is already mounted on /mnt/cdrom

[root@localhost mnt]# mount cdrom2

mount: No medium found

[root@localhost mnt]#

note that i have already mounted the cdrom with the following command

mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom

the thing when i do that i can view the contents

then when i reboot i have to type this again why?

I have checked that even if on windows xp everything work fine, cdrw and dvdrom are set with the correct jumper setting.

also could you tell me how can i check the DMA setting of my devices, look like my hdd drive are so slow...

It's not some kind of hardware configuration problem, is it? Have you checked the master / slave settings on the drives? Make sure the drive that's "hdc" is set  to master, the drive that's "hdd" is set to slave, and *neither* is set to cable select...

when i am doing mount i have

[root@localhost mnt]# ls

cdrom/  cdrom2/  floppy/  win_c/  win_c2/

[root@localhost mnt]# mount cdrom

mount: /dev/hdc already mounted or /mnt/cdrom busy

mount: according to mtab, /dev/hdc is already mounted on /mnt/cdrom

have you looked in mtab to see what it reckons is currently mounted? You could also try

umount /mnt/cdrom

and then attempt to remount

[root@localhost mnt]# mount cdrom2

mount: No medium found

silly question I know, but there is a CD to read in cdrom2 isn't there (I've done this before)?

note that i have already mounted the cdrom with the following command

mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom

the thing when i do that i can view the contents

then when i reboot i have to type this again why?

I am not sure if I am answering the right question here but when you shutdown the shutdown script unmounts all mounted volumes and unless they are marked as

auto

in your /etc/fstab they will not be remounted at startup (you would also need a CD in the drive to successfully mount the drive, this is not a good idea :D )

Any use?

check to see if you have magicdev installed. it's a replacement for supermount. it automatically mounts/unmounts drives. in terminal as root do........

rpm -qa|grep magicdev

if it finds nothing, that means it isn't installed. to install it, either use Mandrake Control Center->software management->install & type magicdev in the search, or in terminal as root do........

urpmi magicdev

magicdev seems to be an improvement over the old supermount, but i don't personally use it because i prefer to mount/unmount manually.

edit: note, if you want to, & you're using KDE, you can also right click the desktop, choose create new->device, set the path to that device, & create a desktop icon for it. then, when you right click the icon, you will have an option to mount/unmount the device. just a suggestion if you decide to go the magicdev route & you find you don't like it or it's giving you problems.

Chris

Edited by chris z

that's mean each time u are mounting and unmouting the cdriom

i have it on my mdk.

well when starting mdk, supermount is not supported on my mdk, maybe because i have compiled the kernel 2.6.6 vanilla on my mdk dunno.

I agree with chriz but for historical reasons I got used to uninstalling supermount and doing it manually... 

It just got to be a habit.. and I add the options user so I can do it as a user... 

I haven't actually tried magicdev...  I was so used to doing it by hand!