Internet Connection on Linux [SOLVED]

PoZZyX

Hello,

I've got a D-Link router (in 192.168.1.1). When I'm on Windows, everything is OK. I can go on internet without problems. But on linux, when I type google.ch in a browser (Konqueror or Firefox or Lynx), I cannot reach the website. If I ping www.google.ch, there is a positive answer and after the ping I can go on google.ch. On windows, I don't need to ping anything, everything is OK. But on linux, I can use AMSN, but the mail doesn't work either.

Thanks a lot.

PoZZyX

PS : I've tried with another routeur and everything is ok with linux and windows.

hehe... i also have one of those bloody d-link routers. the problem you are experiencing is due to a ipv6 problem with the 2.6.x kernel (or with the firmware that is shitty. whatever you prefer..).

here are some tips:

edit your /etc/sysconfig/network file and add the following line:

NETWORKING_IPV6=0

and edit your /etc/sysctl.conf file. add a line at the ipv-section:

net.ipv4.tcp_window_scaling=0

and: edit /etc/modprobe.conf so that you have these entries in it:

alias net-pf-10 off
alias ipv6 off

if that does not help, install "pump" and "dnsmasq" and reboot your system. (if you want to do it with urpmi, est some valid dns-entries in your /etc/resolv.conf and save the file, then ping via terminal your mirror. then start the urpmi command. this should temporarily "disable" the ipv6 problem).

then, as a last desperate attempt, you can lock your /etc/resolv.conf in case it gets changed automatically. type in a terminal as root

chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf

and not even root will be able to change the file-content! do not forget to add valid dns-values first!!! (you should google for some dns-servers (either ping the site or do it in windows) before changing the above mentioned file)

you could also stop your resolv.conf from being changed by modifying your /etc/dh-client file (if you have one), but do not ask me to what it needs to be changed. i am no coder ;)

good luck :)

Edited by arctic