SBC/Yahoo DSL

Guest BoyEnjinir

Guest BoyEnjinir

Anyone have any experience with SBC/Yahoo DSL? I currently use DirecTV internet, but I have to change in the next week or two as they are going out of business. SBC/Yahoo looks like the best price around in my area. They advertise that special software is required, but one person I talked to there says you can get it to work with Linux. Anyone have any experience with SBC/Yahoo DSL and Linux boxes?

Maybe I'll call them back and ask if it can be used with a router, and how that would be done. That's really what I need anyway, since I have multicple computers on my network....

Thanks

-lR

Not sure of the DSL side but I used to (NOTE: USED TO) be on SBC when they had Prodigy. As of Holoween I switched from them. For Dialup it was a similar story. I was told that you could get the settings from Yahoo and plug them into Linux. But you first need to install or register with their propriatory install program and it only loads on Windows. and you need IE to view the install info. So you can't even dail in in linux ppp. Since it needs IE. What a bite. If you have windows you can probably finangle it but why bother? Oh When I called tech services back in Oct. I called three times. First one ran me through a bunch of install info that was crap. Second asked me "What's Linux? Is that a new version of Windows XP?" :roll:

Then the third one told me that there was no support for Linux whatsoever, by the tech supervisor. I asked is there any way to work around this and he said no. I said thanks and hung up and found a new isp.

I don't like SBC at all, the line quality they gave me is ok.. but their service sux.

If I were you, I try covad. I am using covad now, and their service is really nice. Once I have a problem about the telephone line and it is solved within a couple of days. No contract, too for the service I am using so that's a plus.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest BoyEnjinir

So I got SBC Yahoo. Seems okay, but I just got it connected today (thank God! I was going through withdrawal symptoms without my high speed connection!).

I don't like the requirement of pppoe, but my router is handling that, so no big deal. The other thing I didn't like is that I had to use my work laptop to finish the sign up process as the damn thing only worked with MSExplorer (per Cage47's comments). Once that was configured, though, it seemed to work okay. I haven't checked line speed yet, but there's no noticeable difference surfing. We'll see what happens next time I download a CD of linux, or a large set of software source, though.

DragonMage: I was quite happy w/ COVAD, but they stopped supplying service in my area about 2 years ago. That's when I switched to DirecTVDSL. Now DirecTV stopped supplying it altogether. I'm getting tired of switching DSL providers. Once more time, and I'm moving to cable, as much as I hate it. Haven't had any friends who have had to switch service with cable. Speeds are generally a bit slower, and highly variable. However, you can get it connected in a day or so....

• 2 weeks later...

I too had DirectTV Internet. It was reasonably good, and it was fairly easy to set up. Well, we all know what happened to DirectTV Internet ...

I have a D-Link DI-704P broadband router, one box running Mandrake 9.0, another running Mandrake 8.2 and one other running WIN2K.

The problem I'm having right now is that I cannot connect to the Internet through the PPPoE set-up at SBC Yahoo! Initially, I had to register with a Windows PC. When I used the SBC Yahoo configuration CD, it blew my Windows 98 install all to hell, so I ended up having to put WIN2K on it. Then, using EnterNet 300, I was able to start the registration process, but I could not connect. I called their tech. support dudes, and they could ping my PC, but apparently I didn't have the correct security encryption in Internet Exploder.

So, I've been trying since to get my Mandrake 9.0 to work and I've been stopped every time. I found out that my router's firmware is too old to deal with SBC Yahoo's PPPoE protocol, so I need to upgrade the firmware. I will be doing that tonight. I hope it works. Otherwise, I may have to go with Covad, which is about 2x the price in my area.

Cheers,

DH