/dev/hdc: exist or not ?!

theYinYeti

My DVD burner is connected to /dev/hdc (secondary master), and configured in /etc/fstab to mount on /dev/cdrom without supermount even as simple user.

When I boot, /dev/hdc does not exist!!! So when I run Xine, it says that either the device does not exist, or I don't have proper permissions. Indeed:

# ls /dev/hd*
/dev/hda  /dev/hda1  /dev/hda2  /dev/hda3

So I go to console (as user), and just do that:

$ mount /mnt/cdrom; umount /mnt/cdrom

...All goes well. And NOW: Xine is happy!!! Indeed:

# ls /dev/hd*
/dev/hda  /dev/hda1  /dev/hda2  /dev/hda3  /dev/hdc

I'm at a loss with this problem! Is this Mandrake "magic", or a linux-2.6 "feature"?

Yves.

With all due respect, anon, you should read better :) or maybe I was not clear enough...

The line I have in fstab is roughtly like you say (simply "user" instead of "users", and "udf,iso9660" instead of "auto", but otherwise mostly equivalent).

But /dev/hdc does not exist before the user actually mounts it! (I repeat: not root, the user) And mounts and umount work perfectly, and then /dev/hdc is there!

Yves.

With all due respect, anon, you should read better :) or maybe I was not clear enough...

You was clear enough.

I had a simular problem myself, but after changing the /fstab entry to read (as above) it fixed the problem.

Is magicdev (replaced supermount) installed and working OK?

Thanks to both of you. I'll try fiddling with fstab (G.: noauto is already there). And yes, IIRC Magicdev is there. So I'll look into that too.

I'll also see if devfs is the problem, and if so, if I can do without devfs...

Yves.

I'll also see if devfs is the problem, and if so, if I can do without devfs...

Yves.

If your using magicdev you shouldn't be using devfs (AFAIK)

So "devfs=nomount" (or remove the line)

Make sure udev is installed by running

chkconfig --list udev

Not absolutely sure on this, so don't hold me to it. :unsure:

You're getting magicdev, devfs and udev confused :)

devfs - an old system for maintaining a dynamic (i.e. devices get created and destroyed by the system as needed - the alternative is static, where devices are created and destroyed by the user as needed) /dev tree. Used in Mandrake up to v10.0.

udev - a new system designed to do the same thing. Used by default in Mandrake in 10.1, though you can also use devfs.

magicdev - basically, an automounter. Can run on top of udev or devfs (or even a static /dev, I think.)

The problem here appears to be that udev is not creating a /dev/hdc device on system start. The change suggested to fstab may well fix this. You should never have both udev and devfs trying to run, but on a Mandrake system you probably want *either* devfs and magicdev *or* udev and magicdev both running.

Hope that cleared things up!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, happy new year!

I've got nothing confused. I have Mdk10.0, with devfs mounted on /dev. hotplug is running so that devices get created when I plug USB devices. I don't use automount, supermount, and magicdev (I checked).

As I said, each time I reboot, /dev/hdc does not exist until I mount /mnt/cdrom for the first time. I solved the problem by reactivating the harddrake service on boot. Does this tell anyone about the cause?

Yves.