Connecting to DSL

Viper_Maniac

I wasnt quite sure where to put this so I put it here. If it needs to be moved then by all means do so. Anyways on to the question...

I have DSL and I'm looking for a way to connect to my DSL like I do in XP. In XP I have an icon I just doubleclick and then I put in my username and password and hit connect. Then when I want to log off I just rightclick the icon in the systray and hit disconnect. I'm looking to find a way to do that in Mandrake 10.1 Official. TIA.

the way to connect to your DSL, assuming you mean your dsl router, you open a browser window (either konqueror, modzilla, or any other web browser) and type the local ip address of your router (ususally this is 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1) you should now get the login screen as you are used to.

Good luck

the way to connect to your DSL, assuming you mean your dsl router, you open a browser window (either konqueror, modzilla, or any other web browser) and type the local ip address of your router (ususally this is 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1) you should now get the login screen as you are used to.

Good luck

Dont have a router. Getting a router is kinda out of the question (unless I get one for xmas) as I dont have the money for it.

If he's typing in a username and password, he likely doesn't have a straightforward LAN-type setup, but some sort of PPPoE or PPPoATM arrangement.

That is the way it is setup in XP (PPPoE).

SpeedStream 5360

Ethernet

Have you tried to connect to the dsl modem interface? Open up a browser, and go to either 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 and hopefully that will bring you to your dsl modem's configuration/connection page. Loook for a button to connect/login and then type your username and password and connect. Usually when you do it that way, you can then set it up sot the connection stays live.

Ok I tried going through the "New Connection" wizard under "Configure your Computer" configuration panel. It asks me what kind of connection. I choose ADSL since it was the only DSL one on the list. Now it asks me to choose a provider. Theres no US or USA on the list. Just about 20 or so other countries. I'm confused now. :blink: