Install hangs with USB mouse inserted

Guest Arnie_75

Guest Arnie_75

Hi there,

I just tried to install Mandrake 10.1 on my computer (MSI KT6V with VIA KT600 / AthlonXP 2400+ / 1GB RAM / Samung 80GB UDMA-133 / NEC DI-2510A DVD-+RW / MS IntelliMouse optical USB). However, the computer freezes after I choose the language. The installation may also become just really slow because when waiting long enough I can sometimes get to the next point. First thing I noticed is that the USB mouse cannot move anymore.

Whe I unplugged it Mandrake installed fine. Si I reconnected it after the installation was complete. However when I opened Mandrakes control-panel the system foze again. :(

So is this an incompatibility with my mouse or something else? I also tried another MS optical mouse with the same result.

SUSE 9.2 installs and runs fine but for different reasons I don't want to use SUSE.

Can anyone help me please? Am a novoice reagrding Linux so please be patient to me ;)

Edited by Arnie_75

I ran in to this last night, it's an issue with KT/KM 266/400/600 chipsets and when the USB bus is initialized. My 10.1 OE install never started the mouse and hung at disk partitioning as well, so I shut it down and put my mouse on the PS/2 adapter, finished the install and haven't tried to put it back yet. I have a Logitech MX510 and when on PS/2 all buttons are recognized and set to default configuration, but USB is a no go? Odd, but not a deal breaker, although I am sure someone has a fix out there.

Guest Arnie_75

Thanks to both of you for your answers.

However I want to use the mouse with USB so using a PS2-adapter is no choice. I will test the suggestions within the BIOS although I already tried some. If that won't help I will wait for a new release.

BTW, is there anywhere a roadmap that will show when new Mandrake releases will be available?

Thanks to both of you for your answers.

However I want to use the mouse with USB so using a PS2-adapter is no choice. I will test the suggestions within the BIOS although I already tried some. If that won't help I will wait for a new release.

BTW, is there anywhere a roadmap that will show when new Mandrake releases will be available?

I don't know about a roadmap, you might look at the Cooker schedules. Regarding the mouse, how about doing the install with a PS/2 mouse and then switching it to USB? Might have to change your Xorg.conf files, but it should work? I would try it but am hung up waiting for a new processor to be delivered so I won't get to it until next week. Good luck.

Guest Arnie_75

As I tried to write in my first post (sorry for the bad typing / spelling) I already installed Mandrake without mouse. I connected the USB mouse only when Mandrake had been installed and was running fine. This ssemed to run fine at first. However it froze once I tried to open Mandrakes's config-program (don't know the exact name anymore since I'm back to WinXP now). :(

So it seems like there's a more or less big problem regarding Mandrake 10.1 and VIA chipsets together with my Microsoft IntelliMouse optical. I also tried another MS optical mouse but had the same problem :( :furious3:

Edited by Arnie_75

As I tried to write in my first post (sorry for the bad typing / spelling) I already installed Mandrake without mouse. I connected the USB mouse only when Mandrake had been installed and was running fine. This ssemed to run fine at first. However it froze once I tried to open Mandrakes's config-program (don't know the exact name anymore since I'm back to WinXP now). :( 

So it seems like there's a more or less big problem regarding Mandrake 10.1 and VIA chipsets together with my Microsoft IntelliMouse optical. I also tried another MS optical mouse but had the same problem :(  :furious3:

It seems you are correct, Mdk 10.1 and VIA USB in general is being problematic for me, if I plug in a USB flash card reader I get a pop up terminal telling me IRQ 21 is disabled and the the GUI hangs. Might be time to try that Gentoo build I was kicking around...

With this kind of hardware problem it's always worth playing with kernel options (noapic, nolapic, acpi=off , acpi=on) and BIOS settings.

BTW, next version of Mandrake - CE due March, OE due April. See here: http://qa.mandrakesoft.com/twiki/bin/view/...andrakelinux102 . Will come with KDE 3.3, GNOME 2.8 and OpenOffice 1.1...d'oh. Stupid out-of-sync release cycles.