Free Cable Internet?

cmus

I just moved to a new apartment and I am trying to get my home network all set up. Just on a whim I decided to plug my old cable modem into the wall socket where the cable comes into the house to see if there was internet service. To my surprise, it worked! However, it only works when I boot to Mandrake 10.0 and connect directly to the modem via ethernet. When I try to connect under Windows I can not get online, and when I connect my wireless router to the cable modem I can't get online under Mandrake or Windows. Is the cable company able to block me from using the pipe when under Windows or when my wireless router is connected? Am I getting free internet because I use Linux? I would really like to get my wireless connection up and running - do I need to call the cable company?

Mahalo in advance....

[ Moved to Networking by Darkelve ]

Yes, it is possible that linux is allowing a signal thru that is blocked by windows. Simpler is better.

However, as a matter of principle, you really should be paying for cable. Linux is just an os, and really does not necessarily stand for free at any cost! :lol: So, do the right thing, and rest assured that you can have an excellent connection without having to beg your os to do it!

cable doesn't require a password/usrname etc. so its possible that's why its working and the router has your settings in it which is why it doesn't.

I guess you should check and see, perhaps the previous resisdents had one of those contracts for a year and have pre-paid and can't cancel???

I guess under those circumstances the cable co might legally have to leave it on???

cable doesn't require a password/usrname etc. so its possible that's why its working and the router has your settings in it which is why it doesn't.

change your router settings they are most likely still setup from your last internet connection.

I guess you should check and see, perhaps the previous resisdents had one of those contracts for a year and have pre-paid and can't cancel???

I guess under those circumstances the cable co might legally have to leave it on???

ABSOLUTELY NOT !!! Unless you have a receipt from the previous renters showing transfer of account then you can be charged for stealing cable and/or some very obscure identity theft laws.

On the other hand alot of apt. complexes offer cable included in your monthly rent. Check and see if this is the case from your landlord.

Thanks for all your responses, but I still can't figure out why things are working like this. Now I have set up my other computer and installed Mandrake 10.0 on it but it can not connect to the internet through this cable modem. I have called the cable company to order and pay for service, but in the meantime I have been trying tofigure out my situation. I reset my wireless router and I still can't connect through it - with either computer on any OS. Why is my laptop with Mandrake 10.0 able to connect while the other configs are not?

Mahalo...